46892Re: Ripped kites / Warranty

  • terminalveloce
    Feb 1, 2002
      My two cents, as I'm still at work well past beer o'clock...

      I've experienced 3 major structural failures in kites. I was a
      little disappointed in the kites at the time, but in hindsight all
      were initiated by smaller failures - the most spectacular was tearing
      a foil in half while I was 15ft off the deck. Post faceplant
      analysis was that part of the secondary bridles had let go (I
      actually heard a pop before the tear) at a knot, and overstressed the
      seams and remaining bridle. Not what I'd call a manufacturing fault -
      the kite was old, so more like my fault for not rebridling my foils
      when they're looking shagged. I could've argued that they should've
      used 700lb bridles, sewn them instead of knotted them etc. but the
      end result would be an expensive pig, and I'd be laughed out of town
      (that happens often enough anyway...;-)

      The other side of this was when I loaned a nice new(ish) 10ft Flexi
      to a bloke who claimed to be competent and wanted to try one before
      buying. He went out and belted snot out of it for a couple of hours -
      12 o'clock to 6 o'clock nose first, everything you can think of, and
      the kite still looked OKish. Lots of nicks and cuts in the LE, split
      spar, and eventually a popped cell, but it stood up to a unbelievable
      thrashing ("but it just kept flying into the ground" was his
      excuse). He did end up buying a lot of kites though.

      I'm with Steve on this one - if the kite survives the first 10 hours
      in the air without showing signs of fabric distress (where seams have
      been sewn badly, or defects in the fabric) or zipped/fraying
      stitching it's probably OK. It's a grey area, but if you bought a
      car that had a defective valve in one of the front tyres, drove it
      for a week never checking your tyres, then went out and ran into a
      tree because you hadn't noticed the tyre was now flat who's fault is
      it (actually, litigation conscious Americans need not answer that ;-
      )).

      Please let there be wind tomorrow. This is soooooo dull...
      Pete

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic