3979[ksurf] Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin kite surfing article

  • o1withwind@aol.com
    Aug 1, 1999
      hi there,
      I've been here in Honolulu for the past ten days flying with the Naish
      guys. They tell me that the Naish kites will be available very soon as
      well as some great boards which I got the opertunity to try both of.
      The first production run of Naish kites to come in are 7m and 5m kites
      and they are very impresive kites. I got to hang out with Randy Naish
      at the shop Yesterday and watch some of the construction of a new
      kiteboard for Don Montague. It was a 6'2" slalom board. Randy naish
      says he see the kitesurf boards getting shorter in the future. Most of
      the Naish kites out there right now are owned by hawaii locals as they
      are not shiping yet but you can get one if you come and get it
      personaly. The kitesurfing at Kailua Bay is great and I learned better
      how to jump while I've been here. The Naish kites are great for
      jumping with their higher aspect ratio.
      Watch for posts about my new Website to be launched in about two weeks
      - www.kitesurf-reviews.com The first reviews will be the Naish
      kites and boards which I demoed while I've been here. Much thanks to
      Des of Naish kites for his time and kites.
      PEACE&WIND
      Josh Young<o1withwind@...>

      <37a47192.1ab-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=3977
      > Hung Vu wrote:
      > >

      > > > An article & great picture of Robbie Naish getting some air...
      > >
      > > http://starbulletin.com/1999/07/27/features/story3.html
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >

      > > I had a look at the article and both flattered and disappointed at
      the
      > > same time. The editor had obviously read my site and even used
      some of
      > > the original phrases or sentences (with very minor modifications)
      such
      > > as:
      >

      > Hello Hung,
      >
      > I hear you on the 10 knot and whitecap kitesurfing guideline. They
      seem
      > to have had a big typo in that one, otherwise nobody would be
      > kitesurfing in parts of Hawaii. They have had very strong trade winds
      > out there these days. Last week in Maui the winds were typically 20-30
      > mph with one day ranging from 30-45 mph along certain parts of the
      North
      > Coast. On any given day I would guess that 30 folks would be out
      > kitesurfing at various times between Sprecks and Kahana Beach. It is
      > interesting that once I gave up trying to use a 5.0 m Wipika for all
      but
      > the lighter wind range that things started to come together and became
      > enjoyable. Prior to that time I thought that I had forgotten how to
      > kitesurf! The 3.5 m (actually 3.0 m ?) and new 4.0 m Wipikas worked
      > pretty well up to about 40 mph. I had a tendency to get launched
      (170#),
      > in the 40 mph+ gusts even with the 3.5 m!
      >
      > The have some incredible riders off Sprecks most afternoons with
      > inflatables and a few soft foil kites, jumping like crazy and staying
      > upwind for the entire session. About half are on wakeboards and the
      > rest on kitesurfing boards. Aside from beach launching and jibing
      > techniques the performance of the two board types seemed similar. I
      > suspect that the similar performance had more to do with the high
      skill
      > levels of Flash Austin , Don Montague, Rush Randle, Chris Gilbert and
      > many others as opposed to the type of board. I used both types of
      boards
      > and generally ended up well down wind between dealing with gusts and
      > dodging reefs. There are quite a few Naish and Wipika kites in use. I
      > suspect the Naish kites belong to team riders and associates as they
      are
      > still not shipped for purchase on the island. I am not sure why more
      > soft foils were not in use as they seem to be gaining favor quickly in
      > other parts of the world.
      >
      > High wind kitesurfing provides quite a constrast to the light Florida
      > winds that we have had this summer so far. I get excited when we have
      > sustained 13 mph+ winds in Florida and can go out and power up with a
      > soft foil. In these conditions my Wipika 8.5 m stays in the closet and
      > the F one 6.5 m goes out on the water.
      >
      > Good winds!
      > Rick
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic