My Mothers family

  • valnorman2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2004
      my grandmother Mary Cullen nee Kinsella was baptised 24th June 1880
      in the parish of Gory Diocese of Fa(e?)ns. Her fathers name was
      Patrick Kinsella Her mother Mary Kinsella nee Kenny. Her sponsers
      being Richard Kenny and Mary Kinsella. I think she may have had a
      brother but I am not sure. My mother had an Aunt Nan who I remeber,
      she died in 1975. She was called Annie Kinsella from Kilgorman
      Castletown, Inch Co. Wexford. I think that Aunt Nan was married to
      my grandmothers brother but I am not sure. I have a photos of a very
      old cottage in Wexford that my father took I think this was Aunt
      Nans home. My mother did not tell me a lot about her family but I do
      know she loved her time on holiday in Wexford, as a child.
      If any body can help me find out more about my mothers
      family would be wonderful.
      Yours
      Val.
    • jackk2846@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2004
        Val, thanks for checking in. Ireland has computerized their church records so
        now searchs can be easily made. Your best bet is to send an e-mail to the
        Wexford Gelealogical Society at wexgen@... and give them the information you
        just sent me. I'm sure they will be able to help you. There is a charge for
        the service but I don't know what it is.
        BTY, the last landholdings of the Kinsella Clan before they were taken over
        by the English in the 16th century were in Gorey.
        Good Luck,
        Jack Kinsella

      • Justin Rossney
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2004
          Hi Val,
          Re your posting, Just on a point of information The parish of Inch
          (Gorey) is in the diocese of Ferns.

          I would recommend to you a book about the local history of Castletown,
          Coolgreany and the surrounding areas, which I bought in the ARKLOW BOOK
          SHOP a few years ago, The price then was about 13 Euro. The name of the
          book is “Croghan to the Sea”, written by Fiachra o Lionáin and printed
          by Courtney and Hogan print Ltd. (phone 054 34491) This book contains
          interesting articles on the history of the area, extracts from Griffins
          Valuation 1853, lists of evicted families in Coolgreany, illustrations,
          map sketches and much more. It runs to 158 pages a4 size. I believe it
          contains some worth while information for any one researching the
          Kinsellas or any of the other families in the Castletown / Coolgreany
          area.

          You mentioned that Annie Kinsella was from Kilgorman, From the above
          book I read that In 1853 (ref Griffiths valuation) in Kilgorman there
          was a Denis Kinsella renting a house office and land from Rev Gibson
          Black and a Marianne Kinsella also renting a house office and land from
          rev Black. Also Mathew F Kinsella ditto,

          From another source, there was a James Kinsella in Kilgorman born about
          1904 presented for vaccination in Coolgreany by Patrick I presume his
          father but perhaps not.

          The records of the office of the register of Births Marriages and Deaths
          in Ireland commenced in 1865 for catholic records and are held in
          Lombard street in Dublin.
          The date you give for the birth of Mary Kinsella 24 Jun 1880 is after
          1865 so you should be able to look up her birth and find the name of her
          parents if you don’t have them already. Then perhaps a wedding record a
          few years earlier would provide the name of the preceding generation
          (possibly only Paternal).
          The records can be accessed on-line (there is a fee involved) at
          HYPERLINK "http://www.groireland.ie/"http://www.groireland.ie/

          If you know the name of the graveyard where your family are buried there
          may be some information there. I have a copy of the Headstone
          inscriptions for Kilninor,Limbrick and Ballyfad (all near your research
          area) on first glance there does not seem to be any listings that are
          relevant but some graves do not list the dwelling place, so there could
          be something there.

          I hope the above may be of help to you.

          Slán agus beanacht Dé oraimh. (Good luck and God bless)

          Justin Rossney
          (descended from Elizabeth Kinsella born 8 Dec. 1842 in Newtown near
          Coolgreaney)

[...]

          HYPERLINK
          "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=280690.4529748.5701256.2735881/D=egrou
          pweb/S=:HM/A=1969609/rand=100066719"

          *

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

        • rossneyj
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2004
            --- In kinsella@yahoogroups.com, "valnorman2000" <vnorman001@h...>
            wrote:
            > my grandmother Mary Cullen nee Kinsella was baptised 24th June
            1880
            > in the parish of Gory Diocese of Fa(e?)ns. Her fathers name was
            > Patrick Kinsella Her mother Mary Kinsella nee Kenny. Her sponsers
            > being Richard Kenny and Mary Kinsella. I think she may have had a
            > brother but I am not sure. My mother had an Aunt Nan who I remeber,
            > she died in 1975. She was called Annie Kinsella from Kilgorman
            > Castletown, Inch Co. Wexford. I think that Aunt Nan was married to
            > my grandmothers brother but I am not sure. I have a photos of a
            very
            > old cottage in Wexford that my father took I think this was Aunt
            > Nans home. My mother did not tell me a lot about her family but I
            do
            > know she loved her time on holiday in Wexford, as a child.
            > If any body can help me find out more about my mothers
            > family would be wonderful.
            > Yours
            > Val.
          • rossneyj