Kinsella's in Australia

  • Nicola
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hello,
      I'm looking for anything to do with Patrick Kinsella, my great-great-
      grandfather. From what I have gathered from family members so far
      (and it may not be exactly accurate!) he was born in Ireland and had
      a wife and six children before migrating to Australia around the time
      of the potato famine.

      I do not believe that his first wife moved to Australia but I know
      that he married Mary Jane Shannon (b. 1865) in 1890 in or around Glen
      Innes. Patrick and Mary had six children (so Patrick had a total of
      12 - 6 in Ireland and 6 in Australia). Edward Parnell Kinsella (my
      great-grandfather) was the second of those six and was born in 1893.
      Two of his sisters were named Nano and Clare (Clare was a teacher and
      wrote the cursive writing book that many Australian students used in
      school).

      I have been told that Patrick was a free settler, but I do not know
      for sure. Does anyone know where the best place would be to start
      looking for ship/transportation records from Ireland to Australia?

      Thanks,
      Nicola Kinsella