RE: [kinsella] Surname of Kinchlea

  • Tony Kinsella
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2013
      Hi Maureen,

      sorry to hear about your recent troubles and I hope things are looking up.

      Well, you do provide some interesting info however as you may have discovered by now the true path to the source of the Kinsella ancestries in South Kilkenny is a vast and twisted one. So here’s a little summary on my tree.

      The main core seems to originate from Clogga (Townland), Tubbriel (DED) with my earliest ancestor being Denis Kinsella born circa 1776 with son Robert (b1776) and Daughter in law Catherine Kelter/Celter (b 1774). My father John was born in Grange Mooncoin in 1928 and has mentioned a link “cousins” to the Knockhouse (Ballynaboey) Kinsellas. I’m currently trying to sort this link out. It could be the family of Patrick P Kinsella (b. circa 1850).

      Peggy, I noticed you mentioned “Tinlough”, my father also mentions some connection with the Tinlough branch of the family. Mind you this connection could be as tenuous as that they used meet daily at the creamery. But it’s interesting to hear you talk about Tinlough as I’ve found it to be a bit of an enigma.

      The other path I’m pursuing is that of my grand aunt Mary Kinsella (b.1870) , daughter of Denis Kinsella and Ellen Walsh from Ballykeoghan aka Dangan Bridge who emigrated probably around the turn of the century to the States (Sacramento?). I don’t know whether she went while single or married.

      One final thing my father regularly mentions is the original 2 branches of the Kinsellas in South Kilkenny and how they were distinguished by the appendix, “The Pigmen” or “The Cobblers or Shoe Makers”. It seems I have the honour of being A Pigman!

      Should you have any questions please don’t hesitate.

      Regards - Tony