RE: [kinsella] Surname of Kinchlea

  • Tony Kinsella
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hi Maureen,

      My family is from South Kilkenny very near to Waterford border
      around a village called Kilmacow. I have traced them back also to around
      1800 (extract from 1812 census).

      I am aware that some family members emigrated to the US but I have no idea
      of who, when and where to.

      I would be very interested to see whether we are related in any way and I
      could develop my current knowledge of the Kinsellas from South Kilkenny. By
      the way I live in Dublin.

      Regards - Tony.

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
        Tony,

        Sorry, I am recovering from surgery and the death of my sister, earlier this month. I got your email, but just wasn't up to answering at that time.

        My great grandmother, Bridget (Kinsella) Gaule, married my grandfather (John Gaule) in 1840 in Mooncoin, Co. Kilkenny. The wedding info stated that she was born in Barnacole, Tubbrid (CP), Mooncoin (RC) around 1818. Her parents were Michael Kinchelow (birn cir 1774 in perhaps Slieverue RC parish in Co Kilkenny. Her mother was Mary Walsh who was born cir 1774 in Mooncoin RC parish. Bridget (I believe) had at least 4 siblings - Ellen?, Robert, Patrick, and Mary.

        Their family name has been spelled in so many different ways, but I believe they are of the same family.

        After marrying, I found John and Bridget living in Ballynaboley, Kilmacow RC parish. I even found a map with their land plot in

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
            Tony and Maureen,

            My Kinsella line comes from Kilmacow.  Maureen you and I have tried to make connections before, but I have some further
            information.

            My Bridget Costello Kinsella married Michael Kinsella early 1900's.  Both are buried at St. Senan's Cemetery.  Two of her grand-daughters live in Kilmacow are today.

            So lets back a bit and see what we can figure out as I have an Aunt and cousin in Ireland at this moment!

            Bridget's mother, Catherine Power Costello married Thomas Costello -Nov 1866 at St. Senan's.  Living in the same small placename of Tinlough and whose death is recorded around 1880 (I do have the date just not in my memory or with me) is Mary Costello nee Gaul, widow of Jame Costello.  These are Thomas' parents.  Mary Gaul was buried in Carrigeen but no headstone can be found.

            Newest information is contact with a gentlemen who has a Walter Costello from the area of Mullinvat, with Ryan and Tobin surnames mixed in.  The interest came from the fact that a witness to Catherine and Thomas' marriage was a Walter Costello.  I am fairly certain that my Walter is a generation later than his; however Walter is not a typical name so of course we are trying to connect.

            Well I have rambled enough if any of this ties into your families please contact me.

            Regards,

            Peggy

          • Tony Kinsella
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2013
              Hi Maureen,

              sorry to hear about your recent troubles and I hope things are looking up.

              Well, you do provide some interesting info however as you may have discovered by now the true path to the source of the Kinsella ancestries in South Kilkenny is a vast and twisted one. So here’s a little summary on my tree.

              The main core seems to originate from Clogga (Townland), Tubbriel (DED) with my earliest ancestor being Denis Kinsella born circa 1776 with son Robert (b1776) and Daughter in law Catherine Kelter/Celter (b 1774). My father John was born in Grange Mooncoin in 1928 and has mentioned a link “cousins” to the Knockhouse (Ballynaboey) Kinsellas. I’m currently trying to sort this link out. It could be the family of Patrick P Kinsella (b. circa 1850).

              Peggy, I noticed you mentioned “Tinlough”, my father also mentions some connection with the Tinlough branch of the family. Mind you this connection could be as tenuous as that they used meet daily at the creamery. But it’s interesting to hear you talk about Tinlough as I’ve found it to be a bit of an enigma.

              The other path I’m pursuing is that of my grand aunt Mary Kinsella (b.1870) , daughter of Denis Kinsella and Ellen Walsh from Ballykeoghan aka Dangan Bridge who emigrated probably around the turn of the century to the States (Sacramento?). I don’t know whether she went while single or married.

              One final thing my father regularly mentions is the original 2 branches of the Kinsellas in South Kilkenny and how they were distinguished by the appendix, “The Pigmen” or “The Cobblers or Shoe Makers”. It seems I have the honour of being A Pigman!

              Should you have any questions please don’t hesitate.

              Regards - Tony

              My Kinsella line comes from Kilmacow. Maureen you and I have tried to make connections before, but I have some further
              information.

              My Bridget Costello Kinsella married Michael Kinsella early 1900's. Both are buried at St. Senan's Cemetery. Two of her grand-daughters live in Kilmacow are today.

              So lets back a bit and see what we can figure out as I have an Aunt and cousin in Ireland at this moment!

              Bridget's mother, Catherine Power Costello married Thomas Costello -Nov 1866 at St. Senan's. Living in the same small placename of Tinlough and whose death is recorded around 1880 (I do have the date just not in my memory or with me) is Mary Costello nee Gaul, widow of Jame Costello. These are Thomas' parents. Mary Gaul was buried in Carrigeen but no headstone can be found.

              Newest information is contact with a gentlemen who has a Walter Costello from the area of Mullinvat, with Ryan and Tobin surnames mixed in. The interest came from the fact that a witness to Catherine and Thomas' marriage was a Walter Costello. I am fairly certain that my Walter is a generation later than his; however Walter is not a typical name so of course we are trying to connect.

              Well I have rambled enough if any of this ties into your families please contact me.

              Regards,

              Peggy

              No virus found in this message.