Surname of Kinchlea

  • DEREK
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
      I am a descendent of John Alfred Kinchlea who we have traced to being born n London in 1795. As the name appeared to be of Irish descent we have been tracking this down and find it is probably a derivative from the Kinsellla clan.

      We have managed to establish that the family was from Kinsellastown (pronounced locally as Kinchleas town) near Hollywood in Wicklow.

      My question is does any one have any further information of this name, in that area around the end of the 1700s?

      Regards
      Derek Evans
    • jackk2846@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
        Derek, good to hear from you. I trace my ancestry back to about 1775 to
        Athy in County Kildare, I have made several trips to Ireland and on one trip I
        visited Kinsellatown. There are ruins of buildings there but no standing
        homes. While I was in that area (~1970) an old man leading a donkey walked
        by. I asked him if there were any Kinsellas living in the area. He looked
        me up and down and then said, "No, all the Kinsellas left long ago."
        My ancestors immigrated to Auburn, NY. Here our name was spelled Kinsella
        and pronounced Kin sella with the accent on the first syllable. Now everyone
        pronounces my name with the accent on the second syllable. When I was
        visiting Baltinglass, Co Wicklow I went to a bar owned by a Kinsella and he
        pronounced his name Kinchla.
        My sons, Dan and Jim have a Kinsella website you might wish to visit. It is
        Kinsella.org.
        All the best,
        Jack Kinsella

      • Mautrav@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
          Derek,

          Kinsella has many variations in the spellings. My Kinsella family was in county Kilkenny near the Co. Waterford border and a bit north from there. My research is from about 1800 onward. I am not aware of any of my ancestors being in Co. Wicklow around that time or a bit before that. It is certainly possible.

          Maureen

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2013
            Hi Maureen,

            My family is from South Kilkenny very near to Waterford border
            around a village called Kilmacow. I have traced them back also to around
            1800 (extract from 1812 census).

            I am aware that some family members emigrated to the US but I have no idea
            of who, when and where to.

            I would be very interested to see whether we are related in any way and I
            could develop my current knowledge of the Kinsellas from South Kilkenny. By
            the way I live in Dublin.

            Regards - Tony.

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
              Tony,

              Sorry, I am recovering from surgery and the death of my sister, earlier this month. I got your email, but just wasn't up to answering at that time.

              My great grandmother, Bridget (Kinsella) Gaule, married my grandfather (John Gaule) in 1840 in Mooncoin, Co. Kilkenny. The wedding info stated that she was born in Barnacole, Tubbrid (CP), Mooncoin (RC) around 1818. Her parents were Michael Kinchelow (birn cir 1774 in perhaps Slieverue RC parish in Co Kilkenny. Her mother was Mary Walsh who was born cir 1774 in Mooncoin RC parish. Bridget (I believe) had at least 4 siblings - Ellen?, Robert, Patrick, and Mary.

              Their family name has been spelled in so many different ways, but I believe they are of the same family.

              After marrying, I found John and Bridget living in Ballynaboley, Kilmacow RC parish. I even found a map with their land plot in

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 24, 2013
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Tony and Maureen,

                  My Kinsella line comes from Kilmacow.  Maureen you and I have tried to make connections before, but I have some further
                  information.

                  My Bridget Costello Kinsella married Michael Kinsella early 1900's.  Both are buried at St. Senan's Cemetery.  Two of her grand-daughters live in Kilmacow are today.

                  So lets back a bit and see what we can figure out as I have an Aunt and cousin in Ireland at this moment!

                  Bridget's mother, Catherine Power Costello married Thomas Costello -Nov 1866 at St. Senan's.  Living in the same small placename of Tinlough and whose death is recorded around 1880 (I do have the date just not in my memory or with me) is Mary Costello nee Gaul, widow of Jame Costello.  These are Thomas' parents.  Mary Gaul was buried in Carrigeen but no headstone can be found.

                  Newest information is contact with a gentlemen who has a Walter Costello from the area of Mullinvat, with Ryan and Tobin surnames mixed in.  The interest came from the fact that a witness to Catherine and Thomas' marriage was a Walter Costello.  I am fairly certain that my Walter is a generation later than his; however Walter is not a typical name so of course we are trying to connect.

                  Well I have rambled enough if any of this ties into your families please contact me.

                  Regards,

                  Peggy

                • Tony Kinsella
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2013
                    Hi Maureen,

                    sorry to hear about your recent troubles and I hope things are looking up.

                    Well, you do provide some interesting info however as you may have discovered by now the true path to the source of the Kinsella ancestries in South Kilkenny is a vast and twisted one. So here’s a little summary on my tree.

                    The main core seems to originate from Clogga (Townland), Tubbriel (DED) with my earliest ancestor being Denis Kinsella born circa 1776 with son Robert (b1776) and Daughter in law Catherine Kelter/Celter (b 1774). My father John was born in Grange Mooncoin in 1928 and has mentioned a link “cousins” to the Knockhouse (Ballynaboey) Kinsellas. I’m currently trying to sort this link out. It could be the family of Patrick P Kinsella (b. circa 1850).

                    Peggy, I noticed you mentioned “Tinlough”, my father also mentions some connection with the Tinlough branch of the family. Mind you this connection could be as tenuous as that they used meet daily at the creamery. But it’s interesting to hear you talk about Tinlough as I’ve found it to be a bit of an enigma.

                    The other path I’m pursuing is that of my grand aunt Mary Kinsella (b.1870) , daughter of Denis Kinsella and Ellen Walsh from Ballykeoghan aka Dangan Bridge who emigrated probably around the turn of the century to the States (Sacramento?). I don’t know whether she went while single or married.

                    One final thing my father regularly mentions is the original 2 branches of the Kinsellas in South Kilkenny and how they were distinguished by the appendix, “The Pigmen” or “The Cobblers or Shoe Makers”. It seems I have the honour of being A Pigman!

                    Should you have any questions please don’t hesitate.

                    Regards - Tony

                    My Kinsella line comes from Kilmacow. Maureen you and I have tried to make connections before, but I have some further
                    information.

                    My Bridget Costello Kinsella married Michael Kinsella early 1900's. Both are buried at St. Senan's Cemetery. Two of her grand-daughters live in Kilmacow are today.

                    So lets back a bit and see what we can figure out as I have an Aunt and cousin in Ireland at this moment!

                    Bridget's mother, Catherine Power Costello married Thomas Costello -Nov 1866 at St. Senan's. Living in the same small placename of Tinlough and whose death is recorded around 1880 (I do have the date just not in my memory or with me) is Mary Costello nee Gaul, widow of Jame Costello. These are Thomas' parents. Mary Gaul was buried in Carrigeen but no headstone can be found.

                    Newest information is contact with a gentlemen who has a Walter Costello from the area of Mullinvat, with Ryan and Tobin surnames mixed in. The interest came from the fact that a witness to Catherine and Thomas' marriage was a Walter Costello. I am fairly certain that my Walter is a generation later than his; however Walter is not a typical name so of course we are trying to connect.

                    Well I have rambled enough if any of this ties into your families please contact me.

                    Regards,

                    Peggy

                    No virus found in this message.