Troy NY Kinsella's

  • spomibe
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2007
      Hello:

      I don't have much info to go on due to a fire destroying all Troy New
      York City Hall records in the early 1900's.

      My grandfather was John Kinsella - I believe his mother's maiden name
      was Galbraith. He married Jane Conroy and they had 4 children. John
      died in 1936 and was preceeded in death by both his wife Jane in July
      of 1919 and young daughter Mary in late 1918 she was about 4 years
      old. My father was their oldest child his name was John born July 29,
      1905, Joseph and Hugh then their daughter Mary. All now deceased.

      John had a brother Michael that I know of. Any information on my
      familiy would be appreciated. Unfortunately I am the last of this line
      as neither of my uncles had children and I am an only child.
    • Susan Gomez
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
        I may have found something...
        In the 1900 census for Troy, there's Michael B. Kinsella and family
        (wife Nellie and daughters Elizabeth and Mary). There's also a
        family John M. Kinsella living with sister Mary and father Michael.
        In 1880, there's the family of Michael & Bridget with a John among
        the children, but no Michael in that family (there's a Michael of the
        correct age listed in another family). The Rensselaer Co. GenWeb
        site has a cemetery listing and it appears that many members of these
        families are buried at St. Peter's in Brunswick. You could see what
        information the cemetery records might contain. I'll keep checking
        sources to see what else I can scare up.

        Susan

      • jackk2846@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2007
          Susan, you mentioned you don't have much to go on due to a fire destroying
          all Troy NY records in the early 1900's. I was searching for a death record of
          my grandfather, Daniel Kinsella, who died in Shortsville, NY in the 1880's
          and was told the same thing, fire had detsroyed all the vital records. I wrote
          to Albany and (6 months later) received Daniel's death record. Aparently,
          Shortsville had sent the records to Albany before the fire. You should try
          Albany.
          Jack Kinsella

        • Sheila Pomiber
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2007
            Susan and Jack

            Thanks very much for the information. I recently had to return home for a funeral and I was able to vist St. Peter's Cemetery. Both my parents are buried there as well as my grandfather. I have discovered part of the line for my family there. I am contacting St. Peter's, as my one living Aunt on my mother's side did give me information that many of the Kinsella's that were buried in the Kinsella plot in St. Peter's are not listed on the stone. Several perished during the influenza epidemic in 1918-1919 timeframe.

            I will also check with the Albany NY archives as well. I appreciate your help, and wish I had started this many years ago.

            Regards,
            Sheila