hi lads.

  • jonerkinsella
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
      my name is jonathan kinsella.
      im 35 yrs old.
      im from blanchardstown in dublin but have resided in tramore (county
      waerford) for the last 8yrs.
      ive always had a keen eye on the history of my name (and a keen eye on
      the future) and have always been intrested in my names tradition ever
      since i heard a story about my surnames origons.
      when i was about 10 yrs old my cousins (the treacys) moved to wexford
      from dublin. they joined a local school and so so.
      i went to visit them a few weeks later and they told me a story there
      teacher had told them during a history lesson. the lesson was about
      irish names and tradition.
      when they told the teacher there cousins name (kinsella) the teacher
      told them that the name origonated from norht wexford and was the name
      of an anchient celtic tribe called the cean sullochs (dirthy heads)
      ,pronounced ''keown sulloks''. this tribe of celtic warriors got there
      name because of there ferrocity in battle and there dirthy heads.
      the name (according to the teacher) came from the hair style the
      warriors used . they used to urinate into crushed into crushed
      limestone and create a paste from this mixture wich they then applied
      to there hair and make there hair into spikes.
      when the mixture would set it was rock hard and the warriors would
      test the strenght and effectiveness of there hair by throwing an apple
      into the air and impaling it on there hair.
      hence the name ''dirthy head'' .

      is this story true as the more ive looked into it the more i find its
      likely as irish tradition is very very deep, and besides i think its a
      great story to tell at sessions.

      joner.
    • ask me
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
        --- In kinsella@yahoogroups.com, "jonerkinsella" <jonerkinsella@...>
        wrote:

        > my name is jonathan kinsella.
        > im 35 yrs old.
        > im from blanchardstown in dublin but have resided in tramore (county
        > waerford) for the last 8yrs.
        > ive always had a keen eye on the history of my name (and a keen eye
        on
        > the future) and have always been intrested in my names tradition
        ever
        > since i heard a story about my surnames origons.
        > when i was about 10 yrs old my cousins (the treacys) moved to
        wexford
        > from dublin. they joined a local school and so so.
        > i went to visit them a few weeks later and they told me a story
        there
        > teacher had told them during a history lesson. the lesson was about
        > irish names and tradition.
        > when they told the teacher there cousins name (kinsella) the
        teacher
        > told them that the name origonated from norht wexford and was the
        name
        > of an anchient celtic tribe called the cean sullochs (dirthy heads)
        > ,pronounced ''keown sulloks''. this tribe of celtic warriors got
        there
        > name because of there ferrocity in battle and there dirthy heads.
        > the name (according to the teacher) came from the hair style the
        > warriors used . they used to urinate into crushed into crushed
        > limestone and create a paste from this mixture wich they then
        applied
        > to there hair and make there hair into spikes.
        > when the mixture would set it was rock hard and the warriors would
        > test the strenght and effectiveness of there hair by throwing an
        apple
        > into the air and impaling it on there hair.
        > hence the name ''dirthy head'' .
        >
        > is this story true as the more ive looked into it the more i find
        its
        > likely as irish tradition is very very deep, and besides i think
        its a
        > great story to tell at sessions.
        >
        > joner.

        always good to hear family stories..especially from our homeland of
        good old Ireland...Go Bragh!!!!
      • gypsey1978@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27, 2007
          Hi Jonathan,

          I'm Mary Kinsella 29 years and residing in Merseyside in England.? This story seems to link with the one which I have been told - where Kinsella translates to black head!

          Kind Regards

          Mary

[...]

          Get a FREE AOL Email account with 2GB of storage. Plus, share and store photos and experience exclusively recorded live music Sessions from your favourite artists. Find out more at http://info.aol.co.uk/joinnow/?ncid=548.

        • joner kinsella
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2007
            hi mary.
            ive been doing a bit of wandering around ireland in the last week or so and i visited croghan hill yestarday with my children.
            it really is a spectaculer view, the entire centre of ireland is visable.
            i have some pics of where king eanna was standing all those years ago if you would like to see them i will email them to you if you want.
            my next mission is to travel to arklow in wexford to the base of another hill/mountain ''croghan kinsella'' and ask the locals there where they think the name origonates from.
            i have been in that area before and know a lot of the local shops etc are named kinsella.
            my grandfather was from camolin in wexford not far from ferns where there are a lot of very old ruins and where a lot of the kinsella history can be found .
            ile keep you guys updated.
            joner.