Re: [Kierkegaardians] Issues of spirit, revelation and beginning

    Message 1 of 203 , Jun 5, 2010
      Thank you for your response, Don.  I have indeed been assuming K to have adopted the medieval view of spirit, largely, but with a certain dynamism: spirit in Kierkegaard can be awake, asleep, dreaming, aware, unselfaware, etc.  So while you accurately describe spirit's function, that function is unrelated to spirit's essential nature.  There's no significant difference between a "force" or "energy" and a "substance" in medieval thought, as at least some would think of spirit as an immaterial substance.   It is the locus of "will" in the human being in Kierkegaard's thought and of our essential human nature, yet it is also dynamic and changing, so that we are always becoming what we already are.  Spirit's progression or development is in its own self-understanding in K's thought.

      So I agree with what you say, but with different contours.  I don't see an opposition between substance and dynamism (regarding spirit) in K's thought, where he chooses one over the other, but rather that he ascribes both dynamic and static attributes to spirit.   It always is what it is, but is not always aware of what it is.

      Message 203 of 203 , Jul 17, 2010
        Don --

        When you get back, come up with some specific quotations that actually support your claims, or respond to the quotations I've already provided.