Re: [Kierkegaardians] creation anxiety

    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2010
      Don --

      Sorry I didn't make the connections explicit.  Here's how I saw the conversation going:

      You accurately observed that Kierkegaard didn't have much interest in creation myths.

      I suggested, in response, that Kierkegaard had a "monkish" view of his creative output.  As a result, he viewed his creative works (pseudonymous works) as spiritually inferior somehow to his signed, religious works.  I named Gerard Manly Hopkins and Boethius as authors comparable to Kierkegaard on this point.

      Gerard Manly Hopkins was a Jesuit priest.  He died in his 40s in 1889, but the first collection of his poetry wasn't published until 1918.  He regularly struggled with reconciling his poetry to his faith.

      Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy includes a scene in which Philosophy (in the form of a chaste woman who has been ill treated) chastises Boethius for paying attention to the Muses (embodiment of the creative impulse, in the form of wanton women).

      Anyway, those are the connections I was attempting to make.  I don't think that these connections are random.  It's not coincidental that Boethius, Kierkegaard, and Hopkins all had some affinity with the Platonic tradition, for as you recall Socrates suggested in The Republic that poets should be banished from the ideal republic.

      All of these authors reveal a deep anxiety toward human creative output and perhaps the creative impulse in itself.  On the one hand, creativity seems to have a judgment placed upon it, on the other hand, none of these authors could abstain from writing their own creative works, sometimes explaining their judgment upon human creativity within creative works.

      Jim R

      On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Don Anderson <don@...> wrote:

      Jim, I think that K wanted his readers to identify with his pseudonyms not as ideals but to see that they are not the Christians he imagined themselves to be. It was to burst their balloon. But what else is new. The problem I was referring to is how you jump from something to something we are discussing to something that seems to have nothing to do with anything.

      Donald "Don" Anderson

      Email: don@...

      Home Phone: 808-961-6460

      Cell Phone: 808-896-2545