Re: Essential authors v Premise authors

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2010

      SK writes that the Essential Author...

      "has his own perspective, he constantly come behind himself in his individual productions; he strives forward indeed, but within the totality, not after it; he never raises more doubt than he can explain; his A is always greater than his B; he never makes a move on an uncertainty. For he has a definite world-view and life-view which he follows, and with this he is in advance of his individual literary productions, as the whole is always before the parts.  Be  it much or little he has hitherto understood by his world-view, he explains only what he has understood; he does not wait superstitiously for something from the outside to turn up suddenly and bring him understanding, instruct him suddenly what he really wills."

      I dare say he describes his own authorship. I have been unable to locate a work of Lessing's. I would like to read authors more-nearly-my-contemporary who would fit the description.  Do such exist?

      Kenneth

      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth" <karmstrong@...> wrote:

      > The dialectic is qualitative: Premise v Essential... The subjective
      > author might well ask "Do I compose this line as a Premise Author or an
      > Essential Author?"
      >
      > If one composes in hope of inducing a desired reward from the reader,
      > can one be an Essential Author?
      >
      > Kenneth.
      >

      > --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, James Rovira jamesrovira@
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, that is a good question, Don. Would K consider himself an
      > essential
      > > author? I don't think he'd answer that question himself -- I think
      > that he
      > > would believe each individual reader needs to answer that question for
      > him
      > > or herself. The mere act of publishing means that you believe what
      > you've
      > > written is worth being read...
      > >
      > > Jim R
      > >
      > > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Don A don@ wrote:
      > >

      > > > Kenneth, strictly speaking, I think the only one who really knows if
      > she is
      > > > an "essential author" is the author herself. K seems to believe
      > there are
      > > > some clues to this and he dared to venture that Adler did not seem
      > to fit
      > > > the bill as well as his earlier questioning of Hans Christian
      > Andersen along
      > > > these lines. Adler did not because he confused speculative
      > philosophy and
      > > > revelation and Andersen was superficial as I understand it. The
      > question I
      > > > would ask is, would K consider himself an "essential author?" I
      > think not
      > > > considering how he spoke of himself as without authority.
      > > >
      > > > Don
      > > > \

    • Don Anderson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 4:29 PM

      Kenneth, Lessing was as I understand it was primarily a playwright. As far as I know a little of his work has been translated to English. guttenburg.org has several of his works most in German but a couple in English. attached are PDF’s of a couple of pieces that are translated and reproduced in Love and Schmidt’s trans. Of Schelling’s “Philosophical Investigations into the Essence of Human Freedom,” as supplemental material. K certainly read the Mendelssohn piece, the rest he probably did but I do not know for sure.

      Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions I might respond to.

      Donald "Don" Anderson

      Email: don@...

      Home Phone: 808-961-6460

      Cell Phone: 808-896-2545

      PS I did very little editing of my scans.

> [...]

      > > > Kenneth, strictly speaking, I think the only one who really
      knows if
      > she is
      > > > an "essential author" is the author herself. K seems
      to believe
      > there are
      > > > some clues to this and he dared to venture that Adler did not
      seem
      > to fit
      > > > the bill as well as his earlier questioning of Hans Christian
      > Andersen along
      > > > these lines. Adler did not because he confused speculative
      > philosophy and
      > > > revelation and Andersen was superficial as I understand it. The
      > question I
      > > > would ask is, would K consider himself an "essential
      author?" I
      > think not
      > > > considering how he spoke of himself as without authority.

    • Kenneth
      Message 3 of 12 , May 2 5:50 PM
        Don, Thanks for your efforts.
        Essential-author / Premise-author . . . It’s almost 2 years
        since I stumbled onto SK. So far I don’t know anybody else who
        has reacted the way I do.
        Kenneth

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Don Anderson" <don@...> wrote:

        > Kenneth, Lessing was as I understand it was primarily a playwright. As
        far
        > as I know a little of his work has been translated to English.
        > guttenburg.org has several of his works most in German but a couple in
        > English. attached are PDF's of a couple of pieces that are translated
        and
        > reproduced in Love and Schmidt's trans. Of Schelling's "Philosophical
        > Investigations into the Essence of Human Freedom," as supplemental
        material.
        > K certainly read the Mendelssohn piece, the rest he probably did but I
        do
        > not know for sure.
        >

        > Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions I might
        respond
        > to.
        >

        > Donald "Don" Anderson
        >
        > Email: don@...
        >
        > Home Phone: 808-961-6460
        >
        > Cell Phone: 808-896-2545
        >

        > PS I did very little editing of my scans.

      • Don A
        Message 4 of 12 , May 3 12:47 PM

          Kenneth you are very welcome. What do you mean by "reacted the way I do?"

          don

        • Kenneth
          Message 5 of 12 , May 4 6:16 PM

            Don, I immerse myself in SK  many pages per week. I have no expectation of reaching satiation.  I experience a qualitative distinction compared to reading most other authors.

            Kenneth