RE: [Kierkegaardians] Is the immediate aesthete innocent?

  • Don Anderson
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010

      JimR, talk about people getting stupid. Pp 42-3 is not about innocence. It is about anxiety and its consequences which is at the confinium  between innocence and the aesthetic stage. It is the process of going beyond innocence (its annulment and aftermath). You either do not understand CA or you are not making your arguments in good faith.

      Yes it is true that the section on innocence does not use the term “resting transparently etc. But Anti-Climacus does and I am suggesting that any half-educated person can see that the state of innocence at the beginning is the same. It is the state we begin in as newborns and it is the state that we are meant to  reach when we are fully human beings.

      Let me summarize that My description of “resting transparently” is trusting and depending on rather than knowing. Ignorance in the sense of not being able to control the events by knowing before acting is consistent with that. I don’t need to know if I trust God, he knows.

      Sincerely,

      Don

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010
        Don --

        So, it doesn't matter that Haufniensis actually uses the word "innocence" at the bottom of p. 42, and that since he's describing anxiety as the -presupposition- for original sin, he must be describing it before -sin takes place-?  "Original sin," Haufniensis makes clear, is nothing but the first sin.  He rejects all other positions in the first three pages of his book.

        Very sorry I didn't take the time to retype the entire passage.  I thought you'd be able to read it for yourself.

        Why don't you quote A/C and then explain to me how he is describing a state of innocence?  If you're referring to the opening pages of SUD, nowhere does A/C use the word "innocence" and, in fact, he is most concerned with despair.  "Resting transparently" is what you move to -after- despair, so you're a long way from innocence indeed.

        You start your reading of K by assuming he's like you, rather than pay careful attention to his actual words.  Thus, you assume a subject that's not mentioned and ignore subjects that are.  When either H or A/C is talking about innocence, they actually use the word "innocence."  When they are not...amazingly...they do not.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010
          Just to make clear, Don:  This sentence from the bottom of p. 43 of CA:

          <<This third is spirit.  In innocence, man is not merely animal...>>

          Actually uses the word "innocence" but is not, in fact, about innocence.  That is what you think, right?  And the entire context -- even though the word "innocence" appears on the bottom of p. 42 and then again at the bottom of page 43 -- it's not about innocence either, right?

          Jim R
        • Don Anderson
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010

            JimR, it would appear that you do not know what the term “confinium means. It means the border between two stages; I can’t see how innocence can be anything less than a stage considering the CA discussion and I am not alone among scholars. It is the border between innocence and guilt. It is true that anxiety is raised in innocence which I have not denied. But anxiety is not sin or sinfulness. Neither is anxiety necessarily a bad thing. CA makes clear in the last chapter of CA that anxiety is “saving.”  What is being said in the context we are discussing is that it is also the “condition” for grasping at finitude although condition is an inadequate word but will have to do.It is not the “condition” that is sin It is the grasping which is sin. So what we have here is becoming. Innocence is not static. It is a movement from transparency to anxiety and finally a leap that changes everything. I have been talking about the early stages of innocence. But the important thing is that anxiety does not annul innocence, guilt does. Anxiety may well be the beginning of the end of ignorance but it is not the end and it may be the beginning of the process toward guilt but it is not guilt.

            Your statement about Anti-Climacus is nonsense. It shows you did not read what I said. Let me restate it in hope that you will read it here. I never said that Anti-Climacus talked about innocence nor did I say that CA says anything about “resting transparently.” I simply said that I saw a similarity in what A-Climacus was describing and how CA describes innocence especially when one also remembers that J Climacus at the end of CUP describes the same phenomenon as a break with understanding which could be compared to ignorance in one sense. I suppose it’s a minor point, so use your own terms but I do hope you are able to keep innocence and sin separated and in their proper spheres.

            As to your final paragraph, I could well say the same about you and assert that you are wrong because the problem is exaclly what you are always telling me, you didn’t take the time to read carefully what I said. But of course you are far too busy for that.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010

              JimR, No this is not what I think.  I think I have made it clear in my last post. I’m actually kind of confused what your point is unless you think anxiety is sin or the next thing to it or something of the sort.

              Don

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010
                Don --

                You made an indirect, incomplete, and unclear claim about SUD and "resting transparently" in your previous post, which you used to link whatever it is you were thinking about to innocence.

                Here is what you said:

                <<Yes it is true that the section on innocence does not use the term “resting transparently etc. But Anti-Climacus does and I am suggesting that any half-educated person can see that the state of innocence at the beginning is the same.>>

                Because you did not fully explain yourself, I had to guess. This post is a bit clearer, but you're still not quoting SUD, nor are you explaining from a quotation what exactly it is that you mean.

                Nothing that you say below seems to me to be a response to anything I've said, except that some undefined something is a border between stages.  You say, "It is the border between innocence and guilt."  What is the border between innocence and guilt?  There's no referent for the "it" in your sentence.  Do you mean "anxiety" is the border between innocence and guilt?

                I agree with most of what you say directly about anxiety below.

                This issue at hand is: does Haufniensis identify innocence as he describes it with the immediate erotic stage (dreaming desire) described in E/O 1?  I quoted Haufniensis, explained the quotation in context, demonstrated how he included a footnote within his own text to E/O 1, and then demonstrated how that reference was directly to E/O 1's discussion of dreaming desire in the section titled "The Immediate Erotic Stages" through its discussion of melancholy.   I quoted a section of CA that was clearly about innocence, since it actually used the word "innocence" and is describing anxiety in a prelapsarian state.

                You respond with a string of claims unsupported by any quotation.

                You need to make at least the same effort I have to explain your own ideas: quote the texts, and then show me the connections between the texts.  Then explain directly from the texts I've quoted how my reading of them is incorrect.

                Jim R

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 1, 2010

                  JimR, I think I see your point a little better. It is I guess that anxiety is about innocence as it takes place in the period of innocence. Your other assertion is that if he uses the word innocence twice in that section it must be all about innocence. The news is it is about Anxiety, Innocence comes up because anxiety comes forth at the end of anxiety. The references that mention innocence are about anxiety primarily.

                  It is also important to note that the description of innocence that I was attempting to elucidate is innocence in its earlier stage, think a newborn baby, where anxiety has not raised its head but it still applies as far as I can see to innocence until guilt annuls it.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Yes, Don, I think we're both talking about the same thing -- innocence in its earlier stage.  Innocence in its earlier stage is what I identify with dreaming desire.  I think the state of dreaming desire does describe the infant, but can also describe persons who are older too.  K is not so much interested in a simple developmental model, in which we grow through natural stages like plants in sunshine -- something like what Freud or Maslow came up with.  I think he is primarily concerned with existential development, which requires decisions of some kind.

                    Anyway, we may be reading CA with a different emphasis.  I see Haufniensis posing a rather traditional theological problem:

                    How can Adam and Eve have sinned unless God created them defectively?

                    The point is that Adam and Eve have to be capable of sin while still being created without moral, mental, spiritual, or physical defect at the same time, otherwise God is responsible for sin, a possibility which Haufniensis rejects without too much consideration.  He simply says that it is ethically unacceptable.  The "middle term" between sin and innocence is "anxiety" in Haufniensis's argument.  Anxiety is the result of an innocent/ignorant personality consciously being given freedom by being made "to be able."

                    So all the time that H. is talking about anxiety in the earlier chapters of CA, he is describing how an innocent personality can experience anxiety -- it's about how the innocent person is still innocent, not created defectively, but can experience anxiety (so we also agree that anxiety isn't sin, even anxiety about sin isn't sin).  His discussion is primarily psychological, not spiritual.

                    The later chapters of CA describe anxiety after we have sinned and is taken up with a long discussion of the demonic.

                    The transition between innocence and sin is a mystery to psychology as far as H is concerned, is in the realm of dogmatics, so he does not discuss it.  He describes psychology immediately before the leap into sin, which is characterized by anxiety, and then after the leap into sin.

                    That's the framework for my reading of CA.  He has to take some time to describe the innocent person's psychology to explain how this person can experience anxiety and why.  He draws from E/O I to develop this description of the innocent person's psychology -- the part where the author of E/O 1 is describing dreaming desire -- and credits his debt in a footnote on p. 43.

                    Jim R

                    On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Don Anderson <don@...> wrote:

[...]

                    James Rovira
                    Tiffin University

                  • amir
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Hi there
                      I think having a look at the story of Adam and Eve from Islamic/Quranic perspective may be helpful.
                      Amir (new in K.)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010

                        Dear Amir, Thanks and welcome. I would like to hear your Islamic/Quranic perspective!

                        Don

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                          One thing I definitely agree with Don about, Amir.  Please do elaborate, and welcome to the group.

                          Jim R

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                            Dear Don
                            I think the below links could be helpful:
                            link1
                            link 2
                            link 3
                            Regards
                            amir

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010

                              JimR, I think I need to work on this issue for a day or two or whatever before I reply. In the meantime answer the following. What are you saying about how the stage of innocence and the aesthetic stage. I am saying that the stages are separate and it is my understanding that you are saying that they are the same or perhaps you are saying they overlap. Please restate your position on this point.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                                Very simply, Don, my position:

                                Haufniensis identifies innocence, which he identifies as a "state," with the state of dreaming desire as described in E/O I.  It could be that it's not a complete identification on his part, but I would say that the state of dreaming desire is certainly his starting point for his thinking about innocence, that and the book of Genesis.    The state of dreaming desire is one of the "immediate erotic stages," so is part of the aesthetic stage of existence, the immediate pole.

                                I believe the author of E/O 1 lays out the aesthetic sphere of existence as following:

                                Immediate pole  <----->  Reflective pole <---leap----> Ethical stage.

                                Dreaming desire (lowest state) -- starting point for Haufniensis's thoughts about innocence.
                                Seeking desire (intermediate state)
                                Desiring desire (most developed state)

                                Jim R

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010

                                  Amir, thanks for these links. I’ll need some time to digest them.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010

                                    JimR, are you or are you not taking a stand? Is or is not innocence a part of the aesthetic sphere? You seem to be equivocating in your reply below.

                                    More later.

                                    Don

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 2, 2010
                                      Don, I'm sorry, but I can't get any clearer than this:

                                      <<...is part of the aesthetic stage of existence, the immediate pole. >>

                                      When I don't write in soundbites you claim I'm equivocating. When I do, you complain that I'm being superficial.

                                      Read more slowly and think a bit before responding. What I wrote was clear enough.

                                      Jim R

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 3, 2010

                                        JimR, so am I correct to say that either you do not think that persons in the aesthetic sphere are not guilty or that sin has not yet entered by the qualitative leap (see p. 47) Perhaps you are saying that your so-called immediate poll of the aesthetic sphere is prior to sin and guilt. I am asking you where you draw this line. Where does the qualitative leap where sin enters take place? Is it before or after the immediate pole where innocence resides or is found. This is not clear to me. If I were to guess I would have to say, based on my present understanding of your view from our discussion that it does not occur until in the midst of the aesthetic stage. Please correct any misunderstanding I have of your position.

                                        Don

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 3, 2010
                                          First thing to understand, Don -- it's not my "position": it's my reading of Kierkegaard's texts.  I am not representing my own theology when I describe K.  I disagree with K on several points.  I am attempting to write descriptively.

                                          Why do you say "so called immediate pole" when the title of the section from which I quoted is "the immediate-erotic stages"?  Have you picked up a copy of E/O 1 yet and read the sections I referenced?  There's no point in my going on with my own descriptions if we aren't reading the same text.

                                          However, I will try to answer your questions about sin and guilt.  There are two ways to understand sin and guilt in Kierkegaard's writings -- subjectively, as they are understood by the person, and objectively, as they are attributed to the person by God.  K is of course primarily concerned with our subjective understanding of sin and guilt.

                                          From God's point of view in K's writing, so far as I can tell, there's no difference between sin and guilt.  Both words equally describe the same objective and subjective state of the individual in sin.  I think Haufniensis works from this point of view, but I think that Climacus does not.

                                          From the point of view of the person, so far as I can tell from K's works, and perhaps as explained by Climacus, sin does not really exist as sin until the leap into RB.  Guilt exists prior to that leap, of course, but it is not really understood as sin by the individual until the leap into RB.

                                          Now...when does guilt enter consciousness, according to K's works?  I'm not sure.  It may exist in the reflective-aesthetic.  It certainly exists immediately prior to the leap into the ethical sphere and in the ethical sphere.  I would say there is no qualitative change until the leap into the ethical sphere.

                                          Back to my little map of the aesthetic sphere from E/O 1 -- slightly modified to make it clearer:

                                                         Aesthetic Sphere                            <---leap---->              Ethical stage.

                                          Immediate pole  <----->  Reflective pole

                                          Dreaming desire (lowest state) -- starting point for Haufniensis's thoughts about innocence.
                                          Seeking desire (intermediate state)
                                          Desiring desire (most developed state)

                                          I would say guilt does not exist, so far as Haufniensis is concerned, in the state of desiring desire, which he identifies with innocence.  Sin enters the individual's life by the first sin, for that matter, so the person does not experience either guilt or sin, really and individually, until after s/he has transgressed that first command.

                                          Now I don't believe that Haufniensis identifies innocence with the -entire- aesthetic sphere.  Just the state of dreaming desire within the aesthetic sphere.  Some sense of guilt may come in anywhere along the way, but the aesthete who wrote E/O 1 isn't too concerned about guilt.

                                          Jim R

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 3, 2010

                                            JimR, we are so far apart in our interpretations of K’s texts that it just is not worth it to attempt any serious discussion. Have a nice day.

                                            Don

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 3, 2010

                                              David J Kangas, “Kierkegaard’s Instant: On Beginnings” Indiana University Press, 2007.

                                              The title pretty well says it all. Kangas makes a close reading of several of K’s early pseudonymous texts including CI, E/O, F&T, and CA. He reads them from the point of view of K’s philosophy of existence. He explicates K’s similarity to and difference from the German Idealists and his reliance upon the mystical apophatic  tradition which was very influential on the idealists especially Schelling and the Danish romantics.

                                              Amy Laura Hall, “Kierkegaard and the Treachery of Love,” Cambridge UP, 2002.

                                              A close reading of E/O II from the p.o.v. of “The Works of Love.”

                                              Robert L. Perkins, International Kierkegaard Commentary,” Vol. 3, p 51-72.

                                              Interesting discussion of the five Danish words for different levels of desire. Clearly there is more to sort out. A great subject for study.