Re: [Kierkegaardians] Re: The simple individual and the University Professor

    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 1, 2010
      Nah, it's not that I think it's all or nothing, Don.  It's the medium.  I don't think you can have meaningful knowledge of another person just through email, IMs, etc.  I've gotten to know a lot -about- people and even felt close via email and chats, but meeting them in person always proved to completely change my ideas about them, even from the first moment I met them.

      But if I'm ever in Hawaii you bet I'm going to look you up :)

      Jim R

      On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Don Anderson <don@...> wrote:

      JimR, from my reading of K and others and my own experience tells me the only person we can really know is ourselves, that’s what subjectivity is. You seem to feel that knowing someone is an all or nothing process, that at some moment in a relationship you leap from not knowing to knowing completely. As I read K this is completely erroneous. Our knowledge of the other is always already incomplete but that is no reason to avoid making the effort.