Re: [Kierkegaardians] Eight answers to eight questions

  • Don Anderson
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 18, 2009

      Although I very truthfully said that I did not know the answer to my infamous 8 questions, I can give you the answers I “believe” K would give and also the answers that I “believe” K understood Hegel to have given. Here they are.

      Note: universal means universal  as in concept.

      A. How K would have answered.

      1.       Is there a difference between subjectivity and subjective thinking?

      Yes

      2.       If so, which comes first in the experience of the human being – subjectivity or subjective thinking?

      Subjectivity.

      3.       Is subjectivity not particular?

      Subjectivity = particularity, non-conceptuality, immediacy.

      4.        Is subjective thinking not universal?

      Subjective thinking = Universality, conceptuality, mediated.

      5.       Which is closest to the truth of the matter, the particular or the universal?

      Subjectivity, the particular

      6.       Are they then the same thing?” or to put it another way, “Are they totally congruent?”

      No

      7.       Can they ever be made to be congruent?

      Never

      8.       If they cannot be made congruent in our consciousness which of the two are we going to look to for the maximum truth? Hint: Hegel chose one side and K chose the other.

      Subjectivity, the particular.

      B. How K believed Hegel would have answered.

      1.       Is there a difference between subjectivity and subjective thinking?

      No

      2.       If so, which comes first in the experience of the human being – subjectivity or subjective thinking?

      Subjective thinking

      3.       Is subjectivity not particular?

      Subjectivity = particularity, non-conceptuality, immediacy.

      4.  Is subjective thinking not universal?

      Subjective thinking = Universality, conceptuality, mediated.

      5.       Which is closest to the truth of the matter, the particular or the universal?

      The universal

      6.       Are they then the same thing?” or to put it another way, “Are they totally congruent?”

      Not at first

      7.       Can they ever be made to be congruent?

      Yes, by the progression of conceptual dialectics.

      8.       If they cannot be made congruent in our consciousness which of the two are we going to look to for the maximum truth? Hint: Hegel chose one side and K chose the other.

      The Universal

    • Don Anderson