Re: Looking for a quotation....

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 85 , Dec 3 4:56 PM

      >>> did you mean by your analogy…

      Hmmm… Yes, my ‘analogy’ did fall totally flat.  I was trying to distinguish between what I “know” by reading K unaided and what K might wish me to understand eventually, to become fully conscious of dialectic as he would mean it to be understood.  Let me try another and totally different illustration that conjures no chubby aunts in pillbox hats.

      “… true consciousness of … good fortune (without which, as has been said, the good fortune is not good fortune) is contained in, framed in, the consciousness that God is love. Knowledge about God being love is not yet the consciousness of it. For to have consciousness, a personal consciousness, it is requisite that in my knowing I have at the same time knowledge of myself and of my relationship to my knowing. This is to believe that God is love, it is to love Him.”

      CHRISTIAN DISCOURSES AND THE LILIES OF THE FIELD AND THE BIRDS OF THE AIR AND THREE DISCOURSES AT THE COMMUNION ON FRIDAYS; 1940 Oxford University Press, CHRISTIAN DISCOURSES: Part III â€" Thoughts Which Wound From Behind; Discourse III â€" All Things Must Work Together For Our Goodâ€"If We Love God, p. 203

      >>>distrust of reflective thought…

      It’s your turn to provide the quote.

      This ‘conversation’ gets turned in so many different ways, generates so many new questions…

      For every line I send I have deleted 10… I enjoy it and yet I leave my duties unfinished.  And I’m pooped.

      >>> reading the quotations you provided from CUP and will respond

      I didn’t request a line-item explanation.  But may I request you find dialectic to have something to do with simplifying, clarifying?

      Message 85 of 85 , Dec 9 4:32 PM
        I agree, Don.  What I would say now, to clarify my previous post, is that the author of E/O I is himself essentially a German Romantic but is employing Hegelian models of thought to explicate his views of an aesthetic personality.

        But once I've said it this way, the aesthete's reflective thought verges on self-reflective thought.

        I think that both the authors of E/O I and II follow Hegelian models to frame their thought, the good Judge arguing that the ethical is a synthesis proceeding from the contradictions inherent in the aesthetic -- so he argues for the aesthetic validity of marriage, something the aesthete hasn't considered and probably won't, regardless of what the Judge says.

        Jim R

        On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Don Anderson <don@...> wrote:

        JimR, you said:

        I'm not sure Don is wrong about seeing Hegel, but I do certainly agree with him that E/O II presents a limited outlook, one that K would not agree with himself.  E/O I is strongly Hegelian.  E/O II may be more Kantian.  It is not yet Kierkegaardian, though, in my opinion.

        Thank you for this.  I would just comment that I think E/O I is  not so much Hegelian (or German idealist) as it is the representation romanticism. As Lillian Swenson remarks in her “forward by the Reviser”, volume 1 is written by a “young romanticist” and volume 2 is written by a “mature ethical idealist.” Both have elements of Hegelianism as well as Kant, Fichte, The Greeks, and others. They rather stand alone as a representative of their position toward existence.