Re: Looking for a quotation....

  • Kenneth
    Message 1 of 85 , Dec 2, 2009

      Will dialectic ever look like an Aunt Minnie?

      An experienced gentleman once told me this story:  Suppose he were to write a whole book describing his Aunt Minnie's face, her body shape, and her gait.   If he then tested of my knowledge by sending me to the airport to pick her up based on the exhaustive descriptions, he knew I would struggle and fearfully wait for external confirmation of my guess.  But if he went to the airport his recognition would be instantaneous and certain. That's her.  That's Aunt Minnie.  I find numerous references to dialectic  by authors writing about K.  But how do I know if they know Aunt Minnie or whether they just read the description like me?  K writes as one who knows her.  I read as one who waits to be introduced.  Since K is not replying to my emails, I am searching for someone else to make the introduction or confirm my guess.  I prefer that you each under-estimate my knowledge lest you discover I was only pretending to know Aunt Minnie.  Aunt Minnie became our name for any item of knowledge of that sort.

      Kenneth

      Message 85 of 85 , Dec 9, 2009
        I agree, Don.  What I would say now, to clarify my previous post, is that the author of E/O I is himself essentially a German Romantic but is employing Hegelian models of thought to explicate his views of an aesthetic personality.

        But once I've said it this way, the aesthete's reflective thought verges on self-reflective thought.

        I think that both the authors of E/O I and II follow Hegelian models to frame their thought, the good Judge arguing that the ethical is a synthesis proceeding from the contradictions inherent in the aesthetic -- so he argues for the aesthetic validity of marriage, something the aesthete hasn't considered and probably won't, regardless of what the Judge says.

        Jim R

        On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Don Anderson <don@...> wrote:

        JimR, you said:

        I'm not sure Don is wrong about seeing Hegel, but I do certainly agree with him that E/O II presents a limited outlook, one that K would not agree with himself.  E/O I is strongly Hegelian.  E/O II may be more Kantian.  It is not yet Kierkegaardian, though, in my opinion.

        Thank you for this.  I would just comment that I think E/O I is  not so much Hegelian (or German idealist) as it is the representation romanticism. As Lillian Swenson remarks in her “forward by the Reviser”, volume 1 is written by a “young romanticist” and volume 2 is written by a “mature ethical idealist.” Both have elements of Hegelianism as well as Kant, Fichte, The Greeks, and others. They rather stand alone as a representative of their position toward existence.