Re: [Kierkegaardians] Re: The eternal and the immaterial

    Message 1 of 141 , Aug 11 8:37 AM
      Jim S, you're still missing my point.

      The subjectivity of the ethical individual is dependent upon God
      whether the ethical individual is aware of it or not.

      The subjectivity of ethical individual is possible because of God
      whether the ethical individual believes in God or not.

      The existence of God is a "fact" in Kierkegaard that needs to be
      subjectively appropriated, but is still a fact whether we believe in
      it or not, and still makes subjectivity possible.

      So you, as an atheist and as an ethical individual, can be an ethical
      individual in your atheism, because the existence of God is a fact of
      existence, regardless of your acknowledgment of that fact.

      At no time in Kierkegaard do we create reality with subjective belief.
      Subjectively known "truth" and "reality" are two different things in
      Kierkegaard.

      There are facts about the world, and facts about ourselves, and facts
      about God, that are objectively true. As objective truths, they are
      true whether we know them to be true or not.

      Similarly, there are facts about ourselves, and facts about God, that
      are still objectively true even if they can only be subjectively
      known. These facts are still objectively true whether we know them or
      not, but that we know them, and how we know them, determines the
      nature of our subjectivity.

      Jim R

      --
      James Rovira
      Tiffin University
      Message 141 of 141 , Aug 14 5:57 AM
        I agree with your point of view on K's belief, Don. That's all I've
        been saying all along. But if he assumes it in everything that he
        writes, as I have been saying, he is assuming it to be a fact. It's
        just not a fact we can only appropriate subjectively.

        However, if I recall, K uses the word "fact" in relationship to the
        paradoxes of Religiousness B. That's how we're supposed to relate to
        doctrines such as the incarnation and resurrection. Faith leads us to
        accept them as a fact. These doctrines are beliefs about events that
        took place in the material world; as such, they either did or did not
        really happen.

        Jim R