Re: [Kierkegaardians] Notes on handling pseudonyms

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2009
      I read them about the same way you do, Don. I think his Christian
      pseudonyms most closely approach his own opinion, but at the same time
      he's seriously ambivalent about reflective thought, and his entire
      pseudonymous authorship is the product of reflective thought. In
      fact, he calls the entire pseudonymous authorship his "aesthetic
      production" in POV, I think.

      K said in the appendix to CUP that he relates to the pseudonyms as he
      does to external personalities. So on one level it's like reading any
      book by any other author -- you can agree a lot, a little, or
      completely disagree -- K has complete freedom with regard to his
      pseudonyms.

      One thing I recently noticed in that appendix to CUP is that in
      Lowrie's translation we see the word "polynymity." The pseudonyms
      don't give him anonymity, but polynymity. So it's possible he perhaps
      views the pseudonyms as older versions of himself -- he used to be an
      aesthetic personality with X opinions, then an ethical personality
      with Y opinions, now he's trying to understand all his past selves
      from a religious point of view with Z opinions.

      There's another thing to consider too -- it's possible to view the
      same ideas from different points of view, so that they have somewhat
      different meaning and importance to you. So K can agree with his
      pseudonyms but view the subject of their agreement differently -- it
      may hold a different importance.