Re: [Kierkegaardians] Re: new to S. K. group too

  • Teresa Riley
    Message 1 of 131 , Apr 8, 2009
      Yep, I agree with everything you said, Jim R. My point to Mark (if I had one) was to tell Mark that even according to K. its not a contradiction to use your mind in the process. I was trying to avoid the cliche "leap of faith" that's so often quoted when people without relational backgrounds quote K. ...as if using your mind at all is an either/or situation ;-) Crucifying your intellect comes at a point in the process. We don't crucify our entire God-given ability to use our minds.

      Told ya I didn't have time to treat this fully!

      Blessings,
      Teresa

      On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira@...> wrote:
      Teresa --

      In my reading of K, and what I think K (well, Climacus) was getting at
      in the text Jim S. quoted, is that the key here is our response to the
      doctrine of the incarnation.  I agree with your previous post -- I
      agree that K was not primarily concerned with us getting our doctrine
      right; that subjectivity is the truth.  But it is a doctrine that we
      hold to subjectively in the very end -- in the leap to RB -- and that
      is the doctrine of the incarnation.  What I believe Jim S's quoted
      text describes is the nature of a fully subjective appropriation of
      the doctrine of the incarnation.

      In Climacus's opinion there is simply no way that the idea of the
      monotheistic God being born as an infant, living, dying, and then
      rising again can make sense to a rational mind.  So we have to, in
      Climacus's words, "crucify our intellect" to fully and subjectively
      appropriate the doctrine of the incarnation, because it is an offense
      to rational thought.  Once we've done that, however, we've fully
      become a Christian.  This is I believe Climacus's argument at the end
      of CUP.

      Now I don't believe this contradicts the command to "love the Lord
      your God with all your mind...", partially because Kierkegaard argues
      in, I think, the Point of View essays that his goal is for his readers
      to "reflect ourselves into simplicity" -- we're to use our minds fully
      to the point where we see they can't help us anymore, then tell them
      where to get off.  I also don't believe it's a contradiction because
      while our subjective appropriation of the doctrine of the incarnation
      crucifies the intellect, that doesn't mean we abandon our minds in the
      practice of our religion completely.  We are simply always aware of
      the limitations of intellect -- it cannot help us at all with the one,
      very most important thing -- but our lives do consist also of many
      other secondary things, even secondarily important religious things.

      However, there is a footnote in CUP in which Climacus seems to say
      that this whole process he describes is really for the reflective
      thinker, that "simple folk" who, say, live out in the country and are
      not burdened with difficult reading, with philosophy, or with complex
      and abstract thought do not need what Climacus argues in CUP.  They
      can simply believe in faith.

      Jim R

      --
      James Rovira
      Tiffin University

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:kierkegaardians-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:kierkegaardians-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Eph. 3:14-21

      Message 131 of 131 , May 7, 2009
        Don -- I'll visit the group page and try to hunt down previous
        to this list via email rather than the group page, so it's unnatural
        for me to include references to post numbers.