Re: new to S. K. group too

  • jimstuart46
    Message 1 of 131 , Apr 8, 2009
      Teresa,

      You write:

      "… we don't set aside intellect to be in relationship with our creator. Rather, we love him with all our mind by wrestling through the tough questions with him. He gave us our intellect and he wants us to use it."

      Actually Kierkegaard argues the opposite.

      K talks in "Concluding Unscientific Postscript" of the leap from the sphere of Religiousness A (an imminent form of religious belief) to the sphere of Religiousness B (a fully transcendent form of religious faith which he associates with Christianity). In making this leap, K's pseudonym Johannes Climacus says that the individual moves beyond the understanding, even `against the understanding'. The individual has to sacrifice his intellect if he wishes to become a Christian.

      K is generally very distrustful of the intellect and the use we make of our reasoning faculty.

      Jim Stuart
      Message 131 of 131 , May 7 4:19 PM
        Don -- I'll visit the group page and try to hunt down previous
        to this list via email rather than the group page, so it's unnatural
        for me to include references to post numbers.