Re: [Kierkegaardians] Re: new to S. K. group too

  • Teresa Riley
    Message 1 of 131 , Apr 7, 2009
      Mark,

      I'm also just sticking my nose in here where it doesnt' belong. Feel free to ignore my comments
      or take them as rhetorical, ok?

      Have you ever tried resisting the creeds while opening yourself up to the Christ Himself?
      I better be clearer - I'm not speaking of the Christ of Christianity that K warred against, but Christ
      the God-man whom he loved.

      I don't think Kierkegaard would have told you you can find Light or Hope in the creeds.
      Probably quite the opposite. I think he would tell you that Hope is found in Christ alone. Christ is Hope
      and Love itself. If you look for it elsewhere, it doesn't surprise me if you end up in inevitable darkness and
      in a hopeless spell. Have you read WOL or Purity of Heart?

      Kierkegaard just seems to be so explicit in this belief and in his passion for Christ and against christiandom
      that I am always interested why it's not more of a topic on this and other K sites.

      Teresa

      On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Mark Woodworth <ms.woody956@...> wrote:

      Jim:
            Let me be perfectly honest, I mean as honest as I dare to be. I am trying to extricate myself from the consciousness of which I wrote before, which is not so easy a thing to do when it is to a great extent the content of my own consciousness. That is, I am attempting to think, although I am not at all sure I am equipped for the task; I am, after all, a middle aged man (not a Ms but ms. i.e. initials minus the . , an embarrassing omission, self emasculation, but what's done is done) who spent what would have been his college years embarking upon a blue collar career (now more than 30 years long) and reading stuff like Nietzsche and S.K. during time off, when not too drunk or stoned to. I'm trying to pierce that lackluster outer shell to get to the heart of things. This to me is a responsibility -  not to throw in the towel and die with out answers to questions one did not dare ask because to think  was seen as pretentious by other more educated people, and as a waste of time by peers. For me to think, to write, is to rebel simultaneously against, at least, 2 fronts neither of which I am quite at home in.

            Yes, I can change what I think but I encounter inner resistance to religious creeds which would seem to have to ignore other legitimate strains of thought in order to take root. I do not feel so much constrained by ideology but by a kind of  agitated "enlightenment" within an encroaching, inevitable darkness. Is this some kind of spell? If that's what it is then there is hope.

      Message 131 of 131 , May 7, 2009
        Don -- I'll visit the group page and try to hunt down previous
        to this list via email rather than the group page, so it's unnatural
        for me to include references to post numbers.