Re: [Kierkegaardians] Re: The Ethical and the Moral

    Message 1 of 99 , Apr 1 5:25 AM
      Bill, what are you talking about?  Quote me and show me where I say any of this.  How can I possibly mean "inward is understood to be looking outside"?  Those words don't even make sense.

      Jim R

      On 4/1/07, Bill <billybob98103@...> wrote:

      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "James Rovira"
      <jamesrovira@...> wrote:

      JIm R., "Inward" is understood to be looking outside. This is your
      misunderstanding. You insist to want Kierkegaard to conform to this
      mediocrity. You simply cannot take time out a pre-established
      spatialized continuum and impose your own privileged seriality on to
      the "instant". The moment is basic to Kierkegaard, and either you
      know where you've read it, or not. Either you read Kierkegaard or
      make it up. That is your choice, not mine.

    • Bill
      Message 99 of 99 , Jun 12, 2007
        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "James Rovira"
        <jamesrovira@...> wrote:
        Jim R., Don't understand what you mean that "freedom is posible".
        God is decidely not a paradox self-consciously given. We would have
        to understand what freedom is prior to claiming it exists. Our
        understanding of God is something willed that is a change in
        ourselves, and not the other way around. There isn't a change in
        ourselves that creates our understanding of God, or a sense of our
        understanding of freedom. Bill

        As Kierkegaard writes, there is

        "passion for a paradox not a search for understanding that inspires
        that leap" (Philosophical Fragments, p. 37 ff)".

        As I've written before, I don't think you understand what Kierkegaard
        is about, since you lack any experience of what he describing. Bill
        > Bill -- I don't think the incarnation moves us toward understanding
        the
        > totality of what God has created so much as brought God down to our
        finitude
        > so that we can comprehend what we need to know of him, and so that
        freedom
        > is possible -- rather than just being overwhelmed with a Divine
        vision.

        > Kierkegaard --or at least Climacus in CUP -- makes quite a bit deal
        of the
        > fact that we never escape our own finitude, that our understanding
        of "it
        > all" is always from within it all and not above it all. So we never
        > comprehend any totality. That is reserved for God.
        >
        > Jim R
        >
        > On 6/9/07, Bill <billybob98103@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com<kierkegaardians%
        40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "James Rovira"
        > > <jamesrovira@> wrote:
        > > Jim R., I'm a bit confused, since if God becomes human then we
        could
        > > believe that God gives us the will to understand him, and that he
        has
        > > no needs because he created for himself our understanding of him?
        In