Bellinger manuscript on SK, Voegelin, Girard

  • Charles Bellinger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hello,

      I have uploaded to the Files section a draft of my book manuscript.
      It has been accepted for publication by Wipf & Stock. If anyone would
      like to send me comments as I'm working on the final draft, I would
      appreciate it. If you go to www.brite.tcu.edu and click on 'faculty
      directory' you will be able to find my personal email without too
      much difficulty.

      Charles Bellinger
      Assoc. Prof. of Theology and Ethics
      Brite Divinity School

      book overview:

      Love of God, Self, and Neighbor: The Jesus Revolution in a Violent
      World

      This work argues that the insights of three key authors can be
      synthesized to produce a Trinitarian theological anthropology: Soren
      Kierkegaard, Eric Voegelin, and Rene Girard. Their reflections on the
      deep roots of human behavior illuminate three structural dimensions
      of human existence: the temporal trajectory of selfhood, the vertical
      axis (God and nature), and the horizontal plane of cultural
      formation. An understanding of these dimensions and how they
      interrelate proves very fruitful in making sense of a wide variety of
      pathological forms of behavior that human beings have engaged in
      during the modern era. This work links together in thought-provoking
      ways various realms of thought, such as Trinitarian theology, a
      theological (and thus expanded, non-scientistic) conception
      of "science," the ethics of war and peace, atonement theologies, and
      critical commentaries on terrorism and the war-on-terror. While none
      of these topics are covered exhaustively and definitively, the
      interplay between them will likely prove very stimulating to a wide
      variety of readers.