Re: Response to Recent Postings

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi JimS, a short note. The point you raise (see below) is interesting
      in that I see many scholars puzzling over SK's pseudonymous denial of
      being a Christian. The quote I have appended puts his denial in
      perspective; he says why he did it. willy

      JS: <It is interesting to note that the pseudonyms of SK's most
      significant works (Johannes de silentio and Johannes Climacus) claim
      that they have not become men of faith, i.e. they have not themselves
      reached the sphere of religiousness B.>

      "Never have I fought in such a way that I have said: I am a true
      Christian; the others are not Christians, or probably even hypocrites
      and the like. No, I have fought in this way: /I know what Christianity
      is/; I myself acknowledge my defects as a Christian – but I do know
      what Christianity is. And to come to know this thoroughly seems to me
      to be in the interest of every human being, whether one is now a
      Christian or a non-Christian, whether one's intention is to accept
      Christianity or to abandon it. But I have attacked no one, saying that
      he is not a Christian; I have passed judgment on no one. Indeed, the
      pseudonymous writer Johannes Climacus, who poses the issue of
      'becoming a Christian,' does even the opposite, denies being a
      Christian and accords this to the others – surely the greatest
      possible distance from passing judgment upon others! And I myself have
      from the start enjoined and again and again repeated stereotypically:
      I am without authority." (PV, Hong, p.15) (On My Work as an Author)