Re: Grrrrrrrrrr! - so a shipwreck there shall be...

  • Ron Criss
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
      Mederic,

      I would be happy to make the archives open again if that is the
      group sentiment. So how about if everybody chimes in their vote
      either for "openness" or "privacy" as far as the archives are
      concerned?

      Ron

      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Médéric Laitier
      <hidepark21@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > evolution in the Group's direction in the same manner. Let me
      suggest
      > that it has nothing to do with the fact that neither of you - the
      > Owner and the Moderator - is being paid for his contribution to the
      > life of this forum since it is, after all, the situation of all the
      > actors of this group.
      >
      > Perhaps it is, on the contrary, more due to your lessened interest
      for
      > what has been happening in here recently, and the subsequent less
      > frequent message monitoring of yours. But after all, you are
      right, if
      > your interest has decreased, your interest has decreased and there
      is
      > not much you can do about it.
      >
      > I may be wrong about all this, of course - I may be wrong could
      > definitely be my middle name... - but if I am not then I shall
      regret
      > the forum for what it once was: a open place where to have pleasant
      > conversations with varied characters.
      >
      > The archives non-disclosure to non-members may look a harmless
      > evolution on its own and may be in line with the 'privacy' policy
      > which you suggest it is consequence of. But I doubt it is how it is
      > meant. It seems to me to be much more in the descending lines of
      > James' dearest dogma: there are the in-mates - the brothers - and
      > there are the others - poor lost neighbors. The latter are not
      worth
      > albeit only reading /Our/ truth...
      >
      > This is, in my opinion, a complete misconception and further an
      > anti-kierkegaardian notion. It is true K. advocates for the
      isolation
      > of the thinker. But this is meant as an inward movement for /the
      > single individual/. There cannot be any kierkegaardian enclosed
      > /community/ of man. What a man can be, on the contrary, for another
      > one is /an occasion/.
      >
      > Reading the archives can be, for a non-member, an occasion to
      initiate
      > his move towards a deeper form of subjectivity. Closing them off is
      > preventing for good such occasions to become, and closing them off
      > purposely is thus taking in the matter of subjective ethics a grand
      > responsability.
      >
      > This is what I meant to underline and what I continue to consider
      as a
      > most regretful evolution for the forum. My critic has never born
      upon
      > the wonderful job of spam-guarding you have both done. Of course
      not!

      > Should I have sounded here excessively solemn or even
      overdramatic, I
      > feel I must apologise for it for it is true it is not the
      character I
      > have accustomed the forum to embody. It must be aging's
      eeneficence,
      > sorry I meant beneficence...
      >
      > Now what was meant to be done has been done. I have nothing more to

    • nnn88388
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Criss" <roncriss@...>
        wrote:

        > Mederic,
        >
        > I would be happy to make the archives open again if that is the
        > group sentiment. So how about if everybody chimes in their vote
        > either for "openness" or "privacy" as far as the archives are
        > concerned?
        >
        > Ron

        Thanks Ron,
        Let me say that if it were not for the openness of this forum when I
        was looking around I would not have joined. What is there to hide? The
        invitation should be; welcome one and all. As the Lord said to Philip;
        come and see. After all, we are all neighbors, aren't we?
        Nick
      • Ron Criss
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
          --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "nnn88388" <nnn88388@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Criss" <roncriss@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Mederic,
          > >
          > > I would be happy to make the archives open again if that is the
          > > group sentiment. So how about if everybody chimes in their vote
          > > either for "openness" or "privacy" as far as the archives are
          > > concerned?
          > >
          > > Ron
          > >

          > Thanks Ron,
          > Let me say that if it were not for the openness of this forum when
          > was looking around I would not have joined. What is there to hide?
          The
          > invitation should be; welcome one and all. As the Lord said to
          Philip;
          > come and see. After all, we are all neighbors, aren't we?
          > Nick

          Nick,

          To be honest, as a group owner and moderator, I like to know who is
          using the forum. I don't know why, but many folks are simply too shy
          to say anything (God knows I blab on and on with little thought!).
          I've been in groups where I was the only person talking and,
          finally, when I thought nobody cared and threatened to close it,
          suddenly folks came out of the woodwork begging me not to close it
          because they were lurking around. But, to be realistic, that's not
          an issue here. There's plenty of dialogue and I'm sure plenty of
          folks who are digesting what is said (it is pretty deep stuff!). So
          I'm perfectly open to opening up the archives if James agrees and
          enough people say they prefer oppenness to privacy.

          Ron
        • Ron Criss
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
            James,

            It's not because you are a moderator, but because the group was
            created before the poll option became available. Its a great idea,
            but I can't post a poll either. So I guess will have to allow
            opinion to trickle for a bit.

            Ron

            --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "James Rovira"
            <jamesrovira@...> wrote:

            > What do you think, Ron? Let the responses keep trickling in, or
            post a
            > poll? I can't post a poll since I'm not a list owner, just a
            moderator.
            > Maybe something simple, like:
            >
            > List archives should be
            > 1. Open to the public.
            > 2. Accessible only to members.
            > (choose one)
            >
            > We can post an announcement so that all members get notification
            of the poll
            > whether they're normally receiving email or not.
            >
            > I don't think we're hiding anything either way since anyone can
            join with no
            > commitment or barriers and read the archives even if they're
            members only,
            > but if most people think they should be publicly accessible I'm
            fine with
            > that despite my preference.

          • Ron Criss
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
              I'm not totally sure. But I assumed that was the case. I noticed
              that a lot of the newer groups do have that option. Maybe Yahoo can
              fix it?

              <jamesrovira@...> wrote:

              > Ugh, that would suck. It would also mean we just missed the date.
              I'm
              > listowner for another group that started in Sept. of 2001, and we
              can have
              > polls in that group. This group started Jan. 2001 and apparently
              we can't.
              > I noticed a Poll option in the sidebar of my Kierkegaardians email
              and
              > clicked it, then got a message saying that this feature isn't
              available for
              > this group.
              >
              > On the other hand, I'm a member of a group that started in June of
              1999 and
              > it can have polls...so are you sure that the timeframe is really
              the issue?
              > I emailed Yahoo customer care to see if they could do anything
              about it.

              > Jim R
              >
              > On 9/9/06, Ron Criss <roncriss@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > James,
              > >
              > > It's not because you are a moderator, but because the group was
              > > created before the poll option became available. Its a great
              idea,
              > > but I can't post a poll either. So I guess will have to allow
              > > opinion to trickle for a bit.
              > >
              > > Ron

            • nnn88388
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 12, 2006
                meddy-son,
                You make many valid points. We certainly can't democratize europe and
                perhaps the whole cosmos without clear rules and intentions and a
                universal crowing. And if we do democratize the entire world we should
                at least grow enough potatoes to feed them all. Onions and tomatoes
                too. Perhaps Willy the B can tell us how to grow them 'ala
                californiaye'! My vote is still Yes; keep the forum open; if I have to
                vote again as myself or another, I will as long as the polls stay
                open. Unless of course, I have to dip my right thumb in purple ink!
                Then, let this one honest vote stand.
                enchrinic_nic