The dual nature of Kierkegaard's work

  • Médéric Laitier
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2004
      Dear Will Brown,

      In an earlier posting, you proposed a distinction between religious works and pseudonymous ones in SK's work (last 13th october). I think I can even remember that you presented this distinction as Kierkegaard's.

      I would like to know in which category of works you file CUP and Sickness unto death.

      Sincerely,

      Médéric Laitier

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2004
        Hi, Médéric. The distinction I proposed between the pseudonymous and
        non-pseudonymous was derived from my reading of both with an eye to
        discerning a difference. The distinction I proposed was also
        engendered by my view of a singular message being spoken to in both,
        where the difference was not in the message, but in its explication.
        So, I could not say that the distinction I proposed was his
        distinction because it was only my reading of a distinction between
        the two categories.

        Let me run that through again. Maybe I can say it differently.
        Kierkegaard decided which of his writings went where. That was his
        decision as it rose from his understanding of the difference, or,
        perhaps, the choice created the difference; I don't know. The most I
        can do is look at his decisions and make the most of it in light of
        what I see as the theme, or core, of his writings. That is what I did.
        There is a book in English, titled Point of View, edited and
        translated by Hong, that gives much source material on the subject,
        but even there, the closest I can come to the reason for his actual
        choice is where he thinks out loud about making the choice; I cannot
        get into his head.

        Ok, I think I am now in a position to answer your question of
        placement of CUP and SUD. If his choice exemplified the distinction he
        used to choose what belonged where, i.e., not flipping a coin, and if
        my proposed distinction was based upon the difference I saw in his
        choices, then, if I am to be consistent, I am constrained to agree
        with him. However, since this particular distinction is not of the
        bright line variety, as I see the distinction between the esthetic and
        ethico-religious spheres as being, there is room to play, which means
        that I can take a flyer.

        My guess would be that CUP is definitely pseudonymous material. It has
        a disjunctive form about it that requires the qualitative dialectic
        for it to be seen as such. As to SUD, it is not so clear cut. The form
        is there, but it reminds me much of Purity of Heart as more of a guide
        than anything else. I guess that since SK put it the same category as
        CUP, I'll take the easy way out and say the same. If you were looking
        for something more profound than that, sorry. Where would you say they
        belong? willy

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Médéric Laitier