Re: Natural laws...

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2004
      Dear Mederic,

      The sort of laws I think of when I use the term 'natural laws' are the laws of physics, chemistry and biology. For example, Newton's Law that Force = Mass x Acceleration, or his law for the attaction of two bodies of masses m1 and m2:
      Force of Attaction = G x m1 x m2 / ( r x r ), where G is the Gravitational constant and r is the distance between the two masses.

      After Newton discovered these laws, the motion of the planets could be accounted for, and we now use these laws to predict eclipses.

      Another example from physics is the law (or set of laws) linking the pressure, volume and temperature of a gas. For example, Boyle's Law: A volume of gas at a constant temperature varies inversely with the pressure applied to the gas ( v = k / p where k is a constant ).

      Various laws of chemistry describe and predict how two substances will react when mixed together, and laws of biology describe and predict under what conditions the cells in our body will 'fire' and cause muscle movement.

      I'm no science expert, but I can retain some of the scientific knowledge I learnt at school.

      I hope this helps,