Natural laws...

  • Médéric Laitier
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2004
      Dear Een, Dear Jim,

      I am probably not able to rival with any of you to in terms of ability to articulate philosophical concerns and scientifical consistency but I non the less have a question for you both:

      What do you consider under the label of natural laws?

      From my reading of your contributions, it comes that some of the debate you have may be rooted in a subsential divergence of view about the nature of these laws. But since neither of you has defined what he is referring to under this category, my hint remains a wild guess.

      Would you mind precising for less abled people as myself.

      For stupidly enough, I can't help considering myself; nor myself as a person; nor myself (once again STUPIDLY ENOUGH) as a person related to you through the channel of verbal communication, to both of you; nor myself ... to each of you.

      Most respectfully,
      Médéric

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2004
        Dear Mederic,

        The sort of laws I think of when I use the term 'natural laws' are the laws of physics, chemistry and biology. For example, Newton's Law that Force = Mass x Acceleration, or his law for the attaction of two bodies of masses m1 and m2:
        Force of Attaction = G x m1 x m2 / ( r x r ), where G is the Gravitational constant and r is the distance between the two masses.

        After Newton discovered these laws, the motion of the planets could be accounted for, and we now use these laws to predict eclipses.

        Another example from physics is the law (or set of laws) linking the pressure, volume and temperature of a gas. For example, Boyle's Law: A volume of gas at a constant temperature varies inversely with the pressure applied to the gas ( v = k / p where k is a constant ).

        Various laws of chemistry describe and predict how two substances will react when mixed together, and laws of biology describe and predict under what conditions the cells in our body will 'fire' and cause muscle movement.

        I'm no science expert, but I can retain some of the scientific knowledge I learnt at school.

        I hope this helps,