the subjective issue

  • John Anngeister
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2004
      Een, please check my word-substitutions [in brackets].

      (CUP II.2.1 - Hong p.137, VII 104)
      "...the subjective issue is not something about the
      [objective] case in point but is the subjectivity itself.
      ...since the issue is *the decision*, and all decision is
      rooted in subjectivity. ...there is not a question of the
      truth of [an offer of eternal happiness] in the sense that
      if this were decided the subjective individual would then
      be ready and willing to [receive] it. No, the question is
      *about* the subject's [receptivity to] it."

      You will see that I have substituted *an offer of eternal
      happiness* for *Christianity*. I do not ask if Kierkegaard
      used these words in this place, but only if you think such a
      substitution would be in keeping with his idea.

      Also, I have replaced Hong's *accept-acceptance* with
      *receive-reception*. Here the question is more directly
      linguistic (though preferable to me). I do not insist on
      either of these changes, and I am happy to defer to your
      analysis of the Danish. Do my replacements stray too far
      from SK's intent?

      Meanwhile, the first 30 pages of the reading (CUP II.2.1)
      I have gone well, marked, noted, and re-read. More comments
      to come. I hope you will not take this one to imply that our
      reading assignment will bog you down in minutia of
      translation. I will not constantly seek your view on my
      *personal* translations, I promise. But in this little
      matter, if you will, I hope for your assistance and comment.

      -John
    • John Anngeister
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2004
        Correction: my page ref to Hong is wrong. It is page 129
        (this is the first page of CUP II.2.1) I ref Hong p.138 in
        my next post. Apologies for frustration if any.

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "John Anngeister"