Re: Reply to Een Enkelte on Understanding and Agreement

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2004
      Dear Een,

      On reflection, I think addressing replies to individuals has a place within a forum such as this, so I shall adopt a case-by-case approach to my method of communication in the future. Diversity of methods of communication is truer to the spirit of SK than adopting universal rules.

      No, I was not expressing disapproval of your method of communication - I was more defending my own approach against what I perceived as your disapproval of my original method of communication in "The Ethical as the Highest Ideal".

      As I say above, I think diversity of methods and styles is all to the good - SK himself wrote in several different ways in order to awaken subjectivity and awareness of the true import of Christianity in his readers.

      Finally, you write "If only direct communication were possible!". Are you saying that you don't think direct communication is possible?

      If you do hold that direct communication is impossible, you are going further than SK, who, on my understanding, did think direct communication was possible, but was not a suitable method for his own task of awakening subjectivity in his audience.

      Yours,

      Jim Stuart

    • roncriss
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2004
        This is Ron, the Moderator. Feel free to address your posts any way
        you like. I would like this group to be a place for informal and
        enjoyable conversation. Relax and make yourselves at home. I'm happy
        to see any conversation here at all!

        Ron

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Stuart"