Re: [Kierkegaardian] Walker Percy article

  • Emil Zysk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
      Great, sure would appreciate it!

      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, nnn88388 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have a book, title 'Conversations With Walker Percy', that
      > contains the article. I'll take it to work tomorrow and scan the
      > article in PDF format that may allow cut and paste. I'll let you
      > know one way or another.
      > BTW the book has some good articles on Walker. Kierke Gabriel Marcel
      > and Dostoevski come up quite often.
      > Nick
      >
      > --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "<none>" <jamesrovira@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Did you try the text function in the Acrobat Reader? There's a T
      > button on the button bar that allows you to copy and paste text from
      > a document, if the document was not scanned as an image. Many of
      > those old J-STOR articles are scanned as images, though.
      > >
      > > Jim R.
      > >
      > > Ron Criss <roncriss@h...> wrote: Have you all read the Walker
      > Percy article Nick so graciously uploaded
      > > to our Files? I just finished reading it and it helped me to
      > > understand SK and Percy a whole lot better. I wish I could copy
      > and
      > > paste sections of it to the group. Looks like I need to get a
      > copy of
      > > CUP. According to Percy that book was the best key to
      > understanding
      > > SK's earlier works. I think the article also clarified how
      > mysticism
      > > (a false mysticism, I would add) COULD be a form of aestehticism
      > if
      > > conducted soley for the sake of the experience. The article also
      > > clarified for me that the ethical stage is also quite deficient.
      > All
      > > around a very interesting and educational article! Thanks again
      > Nick!
      > >
      > > Ron

      > Service.

    • Ron Criss
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
        Jim R.,

        Yeah, I tried it or I would be burdening you all with many copied
        and pasted excerpts! There were many excellent concepts related in
        that article. Besides that it was just well written. I'd certainly
        like to read more by the author.

        Ron

        wrote:

        > Did you try the text function in the Acrobat Reader? There's a T
        button on the button bar that allows you to copy and paste text from
        a document, if the document was not scanned as an image. Many of
        those old J-STOR articles are scanned as images, though.

        > Jim R.
        >
        > Ron Criss <roncriss@h...> wrote: Have you all read the Walker
        Percy article Nick so graciously uploaded
        > to our Files? I just finished reading it and it helped me to
        > understand SK and Percy a whole lot better. I wish I could copy
        and
        > paste sections of it to the group. Looks like I need to get a
        copy of
        > CUP. According to Percy that book was the best key to
        understanding
        > SK's earlier works. I think the article also clarified how
        mysticism
        > (a false mysticism, I would add) COULD be a form of aestehticism
        if
        > conducted soley for the sake of the experience. The article also
        > clarified for me that the ethical stage is also quite deficient.
        All
        > around a very interesting and educational article! Thanks again
        Nick!

        > Ron

        Service.

      • Ron Criss
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
          Nick,

          That would be excellent! I think I'm also going to have to rustle up
          a copy of Percy's "Message in a Bottle" to see that article in which
          Percy compares SK to Thomas Aquinas. I can't really think of two
          theologians that come from such opposite directions! What's crazy is
          that they both seem to make sense. This leads me to wonder what the
          Neo-Thomist philosopher Jacques Maritain might have said about SK.

          Ron

          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I have a book, title 'Conversations With Walker Percy', that
          > contains the article. I'll take it to work tomorrow and scan the
          > article in PDF format that may allow cut and paste. I'll let you
          > know one way or another.
          > BTW the book has some good articles on Walker. Kierke Gabriel
          Marcel
          > and Dostoevski come up quite often.
          > Nick
          >
          > --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "<none>"
          <jamesrovira@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Did you try the text function in the Acrobat Reader? There's a
          > button on the button bar that allows you to copy and paste text
          from
          > a document, if the document was not scanned as an image. Many of
          > those old J-STOR articles are scanned as images, though.
          > >
          > > Jim R.
          > >
          > > Ron Criss <roncriss@h...> wrote: Have you all read the
          Walker
          > Percy article Nick so graciously uploaded
          > > to our Files? I just finished reading it and it helped me to
          > > understand SK and Percy a whole lot better. I wish I could copy
          > and
          > > paste sections of it to the group. Looks like I need to get a
          > copy of
          > > CUP. According to Percy that book was the best key to
          > understanding
          > > SK's earlier works. I think the article also clarified how
          > mysticism
          > > (a false mysticism, I would add) COULD be a form of
          aestehticism
          > if
          > > conducted soley for the sake of the experience. The article
          also
          > > clarified for me that the ethical stage is also quite
          deficient.
          > All
          > > around a very interesting and educational article! Thanks again
          > Nick!
          > >
          > > Ron

          > Service.

        • Ron Criss
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2006
            Still I was quite happy to be able to read the article! Thank God
            for the internet (even if Al Gore actually created it)! In the bad
            old days I would have had to go to the library, look up the article,
            and, if I was lucky, have to wait weeks for it on inter-libary loan!
            It is an excellent article and went a long way in helping me to
            better my grasp of SK's thought.

            Ron