Camus

  • Jonathan Glenn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2003
      The Lord Glendor is correct that "meaninglessness" or absurdity is a central theme with Camus. But not his only one. Camus was a fierce moralist who spoke out clearly and frequently against totalitarianism, which he saw as the great evil of the day. "Pessimistic as to human destiny but optimistic as to man", as he put it, by which he meant, I think, something like this:

      The universe is, finally, absurd, without ultimate meaning. It is therefore up to us, collectively and individually, to create meaning. But we do not start from nothing in our struggle to create this- there is right and wrong, there is good and evil, and each of us knows this. And to be a man, rather than a dog, one must struggle against evil. And struggle "against this universe in which children suffer and die."

      "Perhaps we cannot prevent this world from being a world in which children are tortured. But we can reduce the number of tortured children."

      Shalom-

      JG