RE: [Kierkegaardian] Digest Number 77

  • Lord Glendor
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      regarding the trilogy of Sartre's novels (though he wrote a lot more than
      that, including 'critique of dialectical reason', 'nausea' and 'words'),
      they follow the life of a philosophy lecturer named Mathieu during the
      second world war...they aim to answer the question of how a person can
      develop projects (a key theme of being-for-itself in 'being and
      nothingness') when faced with such a profound event as the war
      was...certainly a good read and a literary expose of how to lead a life the
      theory of which Sartre exponded in 'being and nothingness'.
      as for Camus i have read only 'the outsider' although i have studied 'the
      myth of sisyphus'...it seems that Camus is concerned more with the concept
      of meaninglessness...his character in 'the outsider' leads a meaningless
      life (very reminiscent of Kierkegaard's aesthetic in fact) and everyone
      probably knows the central theme of 'the myth of sisyphus'