Camus/Sartre

  • Jonathan Glenn
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2003
      Ron K- certainly you may call me "friend"!

      Looks to me like you have confused Camus with Sartre- Sartre wrote Being and Nothingness and a trilogy of novels: The Age of Reason, The Reprieve, and Iron in the Soul. I have not read the novels and would like to hear more about them.

      Still not buying your close connection between an Ex-ist approach and Zen- tell me more.

      Big Peace,

      JG

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:13:30 -0500 (EST)
      From: Ronald Kershaw
      Subject: Hey, thanks for the serious reply!

      May I call you my friend?
      Dear friend,
      Edith Stein was phenomenoligist Jew (Lady) who converted to the RC Faith in the Lowlands, subsequintly deported (after the local Bishop bad-mouthed the Nazi) and burned at Auschvitz. Controversial with the Israeli's. They she died because the was a Jew. No dought in part true, but the rest of the convent were burned too.
      I would not call the great Camus a died in the wool EX. (short-hand for existentialist). But not surprizingly one of there favorite exponents. He can write an essay with the best of them whereas I for one, can't get through Being and Nothingness and yet I really enjoys his Novels especially the Triogy.
      Zen and EX are very closly related with the difference that Zen is beautiful.
      Yours in Christ Ronald Kershaw.

      Jonathan Glenn wrote:

      Ron said:

      I don't have much respect for Sartre's thought (except for his statement that people are Hell, that is "L'autre") but I do enjoy Kierkegaard and Camus.
      What are you reading that has you thinking about EX.? Have you read any of Edith Stein? I have always been partial to the writings of people who have died for thought-crimes.

      Ron, I have to confess I don't know Edith Stein's life or works. I haven't been reading anything that has me "thinking about EX" per se; although I have been reading the essays and occasional pieces by Camus which are collected in "Resistance, Rebellion and Death" (btw, a poor choice of title for this collection!), which I very highly recommend. I read "The Unbeliever and Christians" at least once a year. It is so stirring.

      What I have been thinking a lot about, since 911 and its aftermath, is the nature of religious truth claims, particularly claims of authority, for which I have developed a thorough mistrust. And I have been examining the grounds of my own faith, and finding them to be chiefly existential in nature (as opp. to "rational", in the strict sense). Which, of course, will lead one 'round to our Danish friend! I have moved far from the apologetics-based "faith" (if indeed that's what it was) of my younger days.

      Another thought, albeit off-topic (who cares?) I don't follow your application of a zen outlook to the works of the Desert Fathers (with which I am fairly familiar) or to the Kabbalah (with which I am unfamiliar and can only drop the name!). Care to elaborate?

      Big Peace,

      JG

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/