Re: [Kierkegaardian] Digest Number 70

  • sunnyhoneyjul
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2003
      Hello,
      this is exactly the question i'm looking to answer- how compatible
      is Christianity with existentialism. If you don't mind, would you
      explain how your faith is backed by existentialism?
      or you could email me privately if you would prefer-
      sunnyhoneyjul@...
      thanks!
    • roncriss
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
        JG,

        How do you define "existential" in this respect?

        ~Ron~

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Glenn <jhgmail@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'd like to suggest- and maybe this will jumpstart a group
        conversation- that there isn't anything that can be coherently
        called "Christian Existentialism", simply because I don't think
        existentialism is a philosophical system. Rather- I think- it is an
        approach to thinking about systems. So one could be (and I call
        myself) and existential Christian, by which I mean that the "reasons"
        which support my faith are (largely) existential.
        > Thoughts, anyone?
        > JG
        >
        > kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        ----

        > There is 1 message in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. christian existentialism
        > From: "sunnyhoneyjul"

        __

        __

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:23 -0000
        > From: "sunnyhoneyjul"
        > Subject: christian existentialism
        >
        > i am very interested in the idea of christian existentialism &
        > kierkegaard in general. I have just begun to research it and see if
        > it is what i am looking for. mostly I will be observing, as I
        cannot
        > comment yet. If anyone has any tips or advice for me, I welcome
        them.
        > thanks.

      • roncriss
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
          The philosophical current of Existentialism comes from the inherently
          Christian writings of Kierkegaard. One could then rather ask, is
          Existentisalism compatible with atheism? You see? You are placing the
          cart before the horse.

          ~Ron~

          --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyhoneyjul"
          <sunnyhoneyjul@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > this is exactly the question i'm looking to answer- how compatible
          > is Christianity with existentialism. If you don't mind, would you
          > explain how your faith is backed by existentialism?
          > or you could email me privately if you would prefer-
          > sunnyhoneyjul@y...
          > thanks!
        • roncriss
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
            Jonathan,

            How do you define "existential" in this context?

            wrote:
            > I'd like to suggest- and maybe this will jumpstart a group
            conversation- that there isn't anything that can be coherently
            called "Christian Existentialism", simply because I don't think
            existentialism is a philosophical system. Rather- I think- it is an
            approach to thinking about systems. So one could be (and I call
            myself) and existential Christian, by which I mean that the "reasons"
            which support my faith are (largely) existential.
            > Thoughts, anyone?
            > JG
            >
            > kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            ----