Re: [Kierkegaardian] Digest Number 70

  • Jonathan Glenn
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
      I'd like to suggest- and maybe this will jumpstart a group conversation- that there isn't anything that can be coherently called "Christian Existentialism", simply because I don't think existentialism is a philosophical system. Rather- I think- it is an approach to thinking about systems. So one could be (and I call myself) and existential Christian, by which I mean that the "reasons" which support my faith are (largely) existential.
      Thoughts, anyone?
      JG

      kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. christian existentialism
      From: "sunnyhoneyjul"

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:23 -0000
      From: "sunnyhoneyjul"
      Subject: christian existentialism

      i am very interested in the idea of christian existentialism &
      kierkegaard in general. I have just begun to research it and see if
      it is what i am looking for. mostly I will be observing, as I cannot
      comment yet. If anyone has any tips or advice for me, I welcome them.
      thanks.

    • Ronald Kershaw
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2003
        Hello Jonathan,
        I have to agree with you; existentialism is an approach, much as Zen is an approach to life and thought that can apply to Buddism or Islam (Sufi etc.) or Christianity (Desert Fathers, etc) or Judaism (Cabbala?).
        I don't have much respect for Sartre's thought (except for his statement that people are Hell, that is "L'autre") but I do enjoy Kierkegaard and Camus.
        What are you reading that has you thinking about EX.? Have you read any of Edith Stein? I have always been partial to the writings of people who have died for thought-crimes.
        Yours in Christ, Ronald kp.

        From: "sunnyhoneyjul"

        Message: 1
        Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:23 -0000
        From: "sunnyhoneyjul"

        i am very interested in the idea of christian existentialism &
        kierkegaard in general. I have just begun to research it and see if
        it is what i am looking for. mostly I will be observing, as I cannot
        comment yet. If anyone has any tips or advice for me, I welcome them.
        thanks.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • sunnyhoneyjul
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2003
          Hello,
          this is exactly the question i'm looking to answer- how compatible
          is Christianity with existentialism. If you don't mind, would you
          explain how your faith is backed by existentialism?
          or you could email me privately if you would prefer-
          sunnyhoneyjul@...
          thanks!
        • roncriss
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
            JG,

            How do you define "existential" in this respect?

            ~Ron~

            --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Glenn <jhgmail@y...>
            wrote:
            > I'd like to suggest- and maybe this will jumpstart a group
            conversation- that there isn't anything that can be coherently
            called "Christian Existentialism", simply because I don't think
            existentialism is a philosophical system. Rather- I think- it is an
            approach to thinking about systems. So one could be (and I call
            myself) and existential Christian, by which I mean that the "reasons"
            which support my faith are (largely) existential.
            > Thoughts, anyone?
            > JG
            >
            > kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            ----

            > There is 1 message in this issue.
            >
            > Topics in this digest:
            >
            > 1. christian existentialism
            > From: "sunnyhoneyjul"

            __

            __

            > Message: 1
            > Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:38:23 -0000
            > From: "sunnyhoneyjul"
            > Subject: christian existentialism
            >
            > i am very interested in the idea of christian existentialism &
            > kierkegaard in general. I have just begun to research it and see if
            > it is what i am looking for. mostly I will be observing, as I
            cannot
            > comment yet. If anyone has any tips or advice for me, I welcome
            them.
            > thanks.

          • roncriss
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
              The philosophical current of Existentialism comes from the inherently
              Christian writings of Kierkegaard. One could then rather ask, is
              Existentisalism compatible with atheism? You see? You are placing the
              cart before the horse.

              ~Ron~

              --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyhoneyjul"
              <sunnyhoneyjul@y...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              > this is exactly the question i'm looking to answer- how compatible
              > is Christianity with existentialism. If you don't mind, would you
              > explain how your faith is backed by existentialism?
              > or you could email me privately if you would prefer-
              > sunnyhoneyjul@y...
              > thanks!
            • roncriss
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2003
                Jonathan,

                How do you define "existential" in this context?

                wrote:
                > I'd like to suggest- and maybe this will jumpstart a group
                conversation- that there isn't anything that can be coherently
                called "Christian Existentialism", simply because I don't think
                existentialism is a philosophical system. Rather- I think- it is an
                approach to thinking about systems. So one could be (and I call
                myself) and existential Christian, by which I mean that the "reasons"
                which support my faith are (largely) existential.
                > Thoughts, anyone?
                > JG
                >
                > kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                ----