Re: TRANSLATIONS!

  • bypassman_64759
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2003
      I love Lowrie's translations. Anyone who can speak of him as he
      does, with such personal feeling, had to have translated with
      passion. Swenson as well - it is sad that he was unable to complete
      more.

      We have a rare gift in having such fine works in English.

      I hope to talk more.

      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Peter J Mallor
      <praisethelord.3@j...> wrote:
      > Hi all!
      >

      > I am just wondering what you all feel about the various
      translations? I
      > am partial to Walter Lowrie because he had such a passion for S.K. I
      > ABHOR the Hong translations because it seems like they have just
      made
      > good use of [find and replace] key in their works. I mean how can
      you
      > kick out THAT many in so few years. Lowrie would agonize over every
      word
      > and so would Swenson. Lowrie is the only translation I would read.
      Any
      > others?
      >
      > Also, in regard to the last post: eternal resignation vs. hope: I
      see it
      > like this:
      >
      > Eternal resignation:
      > 1. "I want that meal. I really need it. But I am resigning it over
      > G-d. If I do not get that meal, well, G-d will help me cope." It's
      more
      > of being resigned to whatever happens as G-d's will.
      >
      > 2. "I am going to give up my grip on that meal, knowing FULL WELL,
      that
      > G-d will give it to me." In other words, true faith IS "insanity."
      How