TRANSLATIONS!

  • Peter J Mallor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi all!

      I am just wondering what you all feel about the various translations? I
      am partial to Walter Lowrie because he had such a passion for S.K. I
      ABHOR the Hong translations because it seems like they have just made
      good use of [find and replace] key in their works. I mean how can you
      kick out THAT many in so few years. Lowrie would agonize over every word
      and so would Swenson. Lowrie is the only translation I would read. Any
      others?

      Also, in regard to the last post: eternal resignation vs. hope: I see it
      like this:

      Eternal resignation:
      1. "I want that meal. I really need it. But I am resigning it over to
      G-d. If I do not get that meal, well, G-d will help me cope." It's more
      of being resigned to whatever happens as G-d's will.

      2. "I am going to give up my grip on that meal, knowing FULL WELL, that
      G-d will give it to me." In other words, true faith IS "insanity." How
      can it be? It can't be, but it is.

      WARNING: This kind of faith is not for the faint of heart and can get you
      into A LOT of trouble. I shall recount for you all one day my experience
      with this kind of faith and then trying to explain why you did what you
      did to a shrink. HAHAHAHA!! First off, they wonder who S.K. is and even
      the ministers don't expect you to have THAT kind of faith. So, reading
      S.K. is one thing, LIVING OUT S.K is another!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Love Sorenna

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • bypassman_64759
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2003
        I love Lowrie's translations. Anyone who can speak of him as he
        does, with such personal feeling, had to have translated with
        passion. Swenson as well - it is sad that he was unable to complete
        more.

        We have a rare gift in having such fine works in English.

        I hope to talk more.

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, Peter J Mallor