Just joined

  • iain3232000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      Today I deceided that I would join this group, since I've a renewed
      interest in the work and philosophy of Soren Kierkegaard. I have
      always found his works and approach to philosophy to be appealing.
      Just to give you some biographical info., I've taken a few courses in
      existentialism and I'm majoring in philosophy. I cannot say that I
      have an extensive knowledge of Kierkegaard, or even an adequate
      knowledge of his thought. I do however, plan to foster this interest
      in Kierkegaardian thought and hope that I'll be able to have some
      great discussions with all of you.
      I noticed that in the previous messages Kierkegaard's theme of
      the 'knight of faith' was mentioned quite a few times. If I recall
      correctly, (I read 'fear and trembling' about three years ago, so
      it's been a while) the 'knight of faith' renounces both wish and
      duty, (in the universal/ethical sense) so that by going against one's
      duty to God one chooses the particular over the universal, and thus
      shows faith in God. (On a subjective level)
      An important and helpful distiction must be made between the 'knight
      of faith' and the 'tragic hero'(.) Whereas the 'Knight of faith'
      renounces his objective duty, for a higher one, (which is faith in
      God, through the teleological suspension of the ethical) the 'tragic
      hero' is represented in a similar way: by renouncing wish and duty at
      one level, but replacing it with another higher duty, yet remaining
      within the realm of the ethical or universal. (I believe that
      Kierkegaard used Socrates as a good example of the 'tragic hero') I
      think that this is an useful comparison.
      Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you all and hope that we can
      have some great discussions. sincerely, Iain.
    • roncriss
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
        Iain,

        Welcome to the group. I'm not familiar with that concept. Maybe you
        can offer some quotes from K?

        I'll be offline for a day or so. Hopefully not longer! Hope you'll
        all discuss this topic without me. I'll catch up when I get back.

        ~Ron(Moderator)~

        --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "iain3232000"