RE: [Kierkegaardian] Digest Number 37 (Mohamed Sayi)

  • Don Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2003
      Hello Mohamed Sayi and Mark

      Kierkegaard's belief is the classic Christian one; that physical death is
      not the end for a person. Life is eternal. The Sickness Unto Death is not
      like a terminal illness. The sickness unto death is despair. In summary
      Kierkegaard asserts that we are essentially a spirit, which is the self -
      as such we are a balance of finite and infinite, temporal and eternal, and
      necessity and possibility. These are all in relation to one another and to
      others. Despair (or sin) occurs when in our lives we allow these to get out
      of balance (there is an imbalance in the relation). The torment of despair
      is "not to be able to die." It's when these relations are all out of
      balance. And this is "The Sickness unto Death." Much of the book is taken
      up with discussing the various forms of despair. For example how,
      "necessity's despair is lack of possibility."

      Welcome Mohamed to the site. I'm glad you're here and look forward to some
      good discussions.
      Don