Re: [Kierkegaardian] Digest Number 37 (Mohamed Sayi)

  • Mark Keithley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2003
      I haven't read all of The Sickness Unto Death so I can't give a quote that talks about death yet, but I wil give you an important quote from the book. "The biggest danger, that of loosing oneself, can pass off in the world as quietly as if it were nothing; every other loss, an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc.., is bound to be noticed." For your other part of your e-mail you said "The other thing is that I think God had a point when He told Abraham to kill his only son as a sacrifice." In don't understand what you mean could you clearify yourself more so I can respond thanks.
      Mark

      Hi Mark,

      Dear friend, thanks for your response.

      I never read that book, �Sickness Unto Death� and I don�t know Kierkegaard�s conclusion on death. Please tell me in few sentences what that book says about death.

      The other think is that I think God had a point when He told Abraham to kill his only son as a sacrifice.

      Sincerely yours,

      Mohamed Sayi

    • Don Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2003
        Hello Mohamed Sayi and Mark

        Kierkegaard's belief is the classic Christian one; that physical death is
        not the end for a person. Life is eternal. The Sickness Unto Death is not
        like a terminal illness. The sickness unto death is despair. In summary
        Kierkegaard asserts that we are essentially a spirit, which is the self -
        as such we are a balance of finite and infinite, temporal and eternal, and
        necessity and possibility. These are all in relation to one another and to
        others. Despair (or sin) occurs when in our lives we allow these to get out
        of balance (there is an imbalance in the relation). The torment of despair
        is "not to be able to die." It's when these relations are all out of
        balance. And this is "The Sickness unto Death." Much of the book is taken
        up with discussing the various forms of despair. For example how,
        "necessity's despair is lack of possibility."

        Welcome Mohamed to the site. I'm glad you're here and look forward to some
        good discussions.
        Don