Kierkegaard

  • bigbs9er
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2003
      I am a high school student who is working on a reasearch paper
      dealing with Kierkegaard's thoughts on faith and suffering, connected
      to the book Night, by Eli Wiesel. I would welcome any help in finding
      specific thoughts about what Keirkegaard's ideas were about how
      one loses faith due to suffering.
    • cielo
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2003
        that's quite a serious topic for a highschool research. anyway, from my experience of studying kierkegaard's ideas on suffering and faith.. i believe he does not advocate the idea that one loses faith due to suffering. rather, for kierkegaard suffering leads to faith. it is when a person have been in much suffering and despair that he takes the leap of faith. that man, when facing such infinity, indefiniteness, anxiety, and fear, resort to infinite resignation and leave everything to God in faith.
        you know, kierkegaard's existentialism no mater how "melancholic" it tends to be, is very optimistic. i would say it is even those non-theistic existentialists that advocate lose of faith due to suffering. their philosophies conclude that this life is full of suffering and that we have to end it and so they advocate suicide instead of faith.
        i dont personally know about the book Night by Eli Wiesel. anyway, i hope somehow this has helped you. keep on learning! good luck!
        bigbs9er <bigbs9er@...> wrote:I am a high school student who is working on a reasearch paper
        dealing with Kierkegaard's thoughts on faith and suffering, connected
        to the book Night, by Eli Wiesel. I would welcome any help in finding
        specific thoughts about what Keirkegaard's ideas were about how
        one loses faith due to suffering.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor