Re: The God-Relationship

  • roncriss
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2003
      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "Will Brown <wilbro99@y...>"
      <wilbro99@y...> wrote:

      "In physical powers
      as such there is indeed nothing selfish, but in the human spirit as
      such there lies a selfishness which must be snapped if the
      God-relationship is to be won in truth. One who thinks only one
      thought must experience this; he must experience the occurrence of a
      halting wherein everything is, as it were, taken from himÂ…When one
      thinks only one thought, one must in relationship to this thinking
      discover self-renunciation, and it is self-renunciation which
      discovers that God is."

      Perhaps SK is talking about what the mystics call the unitive stage.
      It reminds me of Christ's saying:

      Matthew 16:25
      For whoever wants to save his life [lit. 'soul'] will lose it, but
      whoever loses his life for me will find it.

      I think SK was essentially a creative and solitary interpreter of
      Scripture.

      ~Ron~