Gnothi Seauton

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      Nick, I have long since misplaced, or lost, your last words on what
      Kula would make of those two words. Not necessary, but it would be
      interesting to get it from the cow's mouth, as it were.

      Could you stick it to me without adhesive, and wouldn't I need to be
      the source of that adhesive? -----Pontikos

      "And this is the wonder of life, that each man who is mindful of
      himself knows what no science knows, since he knows who he himself is,
      and this is the profundity of the Greek saying /gnothi seauton/ [know
      yourself],* which too long has been understood in the German way as
      pure self-consciousness, the airiness of idealism. It is about time to
      seek to understand it in the Greek way, and then again as the Greeks
      would have understood it if they had possessed Christian
      presuppositions. However, the real 'self' is posited only by the
      qualitative leap. In the prior state there can be no question about
      it. Therefore, when sin is explained by selfishness, one becomes
      entangled in indistinctness, because, on the contrary, it is by sin
      and in sin that selfishness comes into being."

      *The Latin saying /unum noris omnes/ (if you know one, you know all)
      light-mindedly expresses the same and actually expresses the same, if
      by unum is understood the observer himself, and one does not
      inquisitively look for an omnes but earnestly holds fast to the one
      that actually is all." (CA, Thomte, pp. 78-79)