Re: "The Concept of Anxiety", Guilt and Sin (2)

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Dear Jim,

      You are right, I have been confusing depths of anxieties with the fact of a necessary progression from one anxiety to another.

      I certainly don't want to claim that every individual who becomes a Christian must pass through all five anxieties VH discusses in CoA.

      What I do want to claim is that every indidual who becomes a Christian starts off, after innocence has ended, in the aesthetic sphere, leaps to the ethical sphere, leaps to the sphere of religiousness A, then leaps to the sphere of religiousness B. But I have to admit that this doctrine is only spelt out in CUP.

      I do think this doctrine is hinted out in CoA where VH says things like the following: "only he who passes through the anxiety of the possible is educated to have no anxiety" and "this is an adventure every human being must go through - to learn to be anxious in order that he may not perish either by never having been in anxiety or by succumbing to anxiety. Whoever has learned to be anxious in the right way has learned the ultimate."

      Yours,

      Jim Stuart