RE: [Kierkegaardian] Plato and Kierkegaard

  • Don Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 11:10 AM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of <none>
      Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 10:47 AM
      To: kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Kierkegaardian] The point

      Jeff --

      Is it really that big a stretch. Think about Gatsby -- we get Gatsby's
      story from Nick's point of view, right? Did Nick really know
      -everything- about Gatsby? Or did he just know what he heard and saw
      for himself, with some second hand knowledge thrown in? Don't you
      think Fitzgerald knew more about Gatsby than Nick did?

      I think K had the same point Plato did when he wrote his dialogs. You
      have all these people from different points of view all come together
      and argue about the same topic. The truth, if we can attain it, arises
      from that dialog. Not from any one of the points of view, but from all
      of them together.

      This is very closely tied in to Plato's conception of reason and how it
      works to enlighten us. Plato didn't believe in just giving us a list
      of truths, but in showing us how to reason about, or reflect upon, a
      topic until the truth comes to us. K thought the same thing, I think.

      Jim R.

      Yahoo! Groups Links