Re: From 'High Anxiety' to 'Purity of Heart'

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2005
      --- In kierkegaardians@yahoogroups.com, "hakoohaj" <hakoohaj@y...>
      wrote:
      > Mr. Obsidian Brown,
      >
      > I have noticed that the discussion on inwardness has become
      entangled
      > with this discussion. Inwardness is subjectivity is transparency.
      I'll
      > close this by noting that the meaning of the Good spills over into
      > many other books. The demonic is fear of the Good. Disclosure is
      > transparency and transparency is the first expression of salvation.
      >
      > I'll close with the punch line. "Here disclosure is good, for
      > disclosure is the first expression of salvation."
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Rick

      Rick, I am glad you did not take me for granite; obsidian is arrowhead
      material and I aim to pierce. I did not pick up on the punch line in
      particular but I am glad you did. I have just read further in /Concept
      of Anxiety/ from that statement and I came across the following:

      "Disclosure may have already conquered; however, at the last moment,
      inclosing reserve ventures the last attempt and is ingenious enough to
      transform the disclosure itself into a mystification, and inclosing
      reserve has conquered.*

      *It is readily seen that inclosing reserve /eo ipso/ signifies a lie,
      or if one prefers, untruth. But untruth is precisely unfreedom, which
      is anxious about disclosure." (128)

      The first thing I notice is that the statement is worded in such a way
      that the demonic is reified; it is the inclosing reserve that
      ventures. Then, the voice changes and the demonic has conquered. This
      reminds me of SUD:

      "Figuratively speaking, it is as if an error slipped into an author's
      writing and the error became conscious of itself as an
      error—perhaps
      it actually was not a mistake but in a much higher sense an essential
      part of the whole production—and now this error wants to mutiny
      against the author, out of hatred toward him, forbidding him to
      correct it and in maniacal defiance saying to him: No, I refuse to be
      erased; I will stand as a witness against you, a witness that you are
      a second-rate author." (SUD, Hong, p. 74) (Lowrie, p. 207)

      I would say that the demonic is the error in a state of fear of being
      erased.

      The next thing I notice is that if disclosure /is/ the first
      expression, and if disclosure is transparency, a term that pervades
      many of his works as representing an added reflection, and that
      reminds me of the following quote from /Judge for Yourself/, then that
      transition from the esthetic to the ethical is indeed the 'passageway'
      to the religious. It would be the first necessary step, a leap, that
      placed one into the category of salvation. This could account for the
      his concentration on subjectivity in CUP, which was to be his "finish
      saying it all" book. -----willy

      "To come to oneself in /self- knowledge/. In self-knowledge. In any
      other knowledge you are away from yourself, you forget yourself, are
      absent from yourself. […] There is only one kind of knowing that
      brings a person completely to himself – self-knowledge; this is
      what
      it means to be sober, sheer transparency." (JY, Hong, p. 105)