Re: [kidact] Re: list of names/emails of people at World Con X SIG meeting & Alexis prompt :)

  • Denise Matthijssen - systeemtherapeut
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2012
    • 10 KB
    Hello CAF SIG members,

    I also missed the meeting during the ACBS conference, i hope to meet al of you an other time!
    My name is Denise Matthijssen and I am a family-therapist and I work at an institution for mental health for children in Utrecht and in my practice for family and relation-therapy.
    I started working with ACT in 2008 and have developed a course for parents who have difficulties in stimulating the social-emotional development of their children. We use the book I wrote on that (www.actiefopvoeden.nl) and we also do research in that course with the University of Utrecht. Next to that i hope to work with ACT more with adolescents and family's and I like to share our experiences al together. If any of you is Dutch speaking and interested in implementation ACT in  working with children and family's please let me know so that we can share Dutch and Belgium experiences as well.

    Kind regards

    Denise

    2012/7/27 carlos_e_rivera <carlos.rivera1@...>

    Hello CAF SIG Family,

    Unfortunately, I missed the meeting during the ACBS conference, but I'm a member of the SIG.
    My name is Carlos Rivera, and I just moved to Boston 3 weeks ago (from Athens, GA) in search of PhD programs in clinical psychology with a research focus on ACT/RFT. One of my interests is the development and application of ACT and RFT with children and their parents. Another is to disseminate ACT to the Latino families living in the United States (I think it's currently the biggest ethnic minority group in the nation, and probably the most neglected due to public policies), and to Latin American countries (through collaboration with other universities and professionals).
    I joined this group about six months ago because for the past three years I worked as a paraprofessional and community support individual with children and parents who were involved with the Department of Social Services in the state of Georgia. Most of my clients were from minority groups (Latinos and African Americans), and at-risk communities. From my limited position, I applied some things I have learned about ACT with my clients (mindfulness practices, psyc flexibility). Although I am not doing crisis intervention currently (I work with the New England Research Institute now), I want to stay connected to the group because it is a great place to disseminate knowledge and collaborate among us. Through this group, I have also met some professors I would like to do my PhD with and professionals who have shared knowledge with me. I hope I can continue getting more of that. I am also a member of ACBS, and recently joined the New England ACT Chapter.
    I would like to contribute with anything I can. In the past, I have worked as research assistant in clinical psyc labs and in the educational field as well. Spanish is my first language, so I will be happy to help anyone who needs translating material (pamphlets, informed consents, etc…). If you are in the Boston area, I can help in person, otherwise, we can communicate via email or phone (below).
    It was so great to meet many of you during the conference and finally put faces to the names.

    Kindly,

    Carlos
    carlos.rivera1@...
    864-363-6390