Re: What connectors to use on an Aluminum Clad PCB?

  • nickoatley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      I've used SMD connectors on FR4 board, no problems with things disintegrating when being pulled apart. The bond strength from the solder joints far exceeds the demating force needed. I would expect the Al-clad board to be robust. If the other board (the "normal") one is FR4, it should all be fine.

      Nick.

      --- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, Cat C <catalin_cluj@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,I need to have two boards (bottom one Aluminum-Clad and top one "normal") connected with 128 - 172 pins (in maybe 4 connectors).
      > I don't know what the best connector type is for this, because I think the Aluminum Clad can only have SMD parts/connectors so I'm worried they'll exfoliate if pulled apart when I need to separate the boards.Vias might help, but I think the thinness/elasticity of the dielectrics (eg. Bergquist) might make this not ideal...
      > Anybody experienced with this?
      > Thanks,
      > Cat

    • Donald H Locker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        Would Zebra connectors suit? Often used to attach LCD panels (somewhat fragile and difficult to solder) to PCBs. I think Zebra is a trademark --- here it is <http://www.fujipoly.com/products/zebra-elastomeric-connectors.html> --- generic term is elastomeric connector.

        HTH,
        Donald.
        --
        *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
        () no proprietary attachments; no html mail

        > I need to have two boards (bottom one Aluminum-Clad and top one
        > "normal") connected with 128 - 172 pins (in maybe 4 connectors).
        >

        > I don't know what the best connector type is for this, because I think
        > the Aluminum Clad can only have SMD parts/connectors so I'm worried
        > they'll exfoliate if pulled apart when I need to separate the boards.
        > Vias might help, but I think the thinness/elasticity of the
        > dielectrics (eg. Bergquist) might make this not ideal...
        >

        > Anybody experienced with this?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Cat

      • Cat C
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2011
          Thank you Donald, Nick; sorry about the late reply, we had a long weekend here.

          Donald: The Zebra connectors won't do in my case because, as I forgot to mention (I know, I know :-), I need 1A to go through these connectors.

          Nick: I am not concerned about the solder bond strength; I am concerned about the bond between copper/dielectric/aluminum because if I understand correctly the Bergquist dielectric is not very rigid, to allow for thermal expansion.
          Still I think it would be OK; the high number of pins is what worries me most.

          Thanks agaoin,

          Cat